Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had my Rear Bumper replaced because it had a slight bend in it
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15807&d=1138143014
and it was rubbing the tailgate in the middle (probably from the bend). Well anyway the new one is still rubbing slightly. I know that I've read about fixes (cutting down the plastic cap, adding door edge guard) So my question..Is there a way to just adjust the bumper down? I had a buddy of mine throw it on ( I really had to be a pest to get him to do it) but I was thinking about bringing it to a bodyshop and having them adjust it.

what do you think?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trdspectacoma said:
there should be a little play in the bumper mounting plates, but I don't think it makes that much of a difference. You can try
Ya I didn't think that there was that much adjustment.

So how many trucks have this problem? What did you guys do to fix it?

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
the bumper on my 96 rubs slightly, but that is after I did the body lift and flipped my brackets upside down and swapped sides to raise the bumper. I would try playing with the mounting points (loosen the bolts, get somebody to put pressure in the right direction, and then tighten the bolts down) or grab a drill bit and wallow out the holes a bit to make some more play. Or just run it by a body shop and see if they will help you out

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I had the bodyshop adjust it and its better but I guess part of the problem is the step pad doesn't hold tight against the bumper.

I was also thinking of putting some of that clear edge tape(like the stuff put on for stone/chip protection)

Anybody have experience with that 3m clear edging?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
My bumper is fine for most of its length, but there is a small section (1-2 inches) where the plastic cap is slightly deformed and bent up. That's where its rubbing. I was thinking of lightly applying heat to it from underneath, maybe from a butane torch or something, and pushing that part back down.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE!!

So I bought a new bumper and had it installed. I also got a strip of clear 3m paint protectant and just installed that on the bottom of the gate and as I was removing the excess two chips of paint came off with it :brickknoc .Now looking at it the paint its real thin on the edge there damn it.

I also had a wider piece put on the top edge so when I use my cap the door wont rub on the tailgate so we will see how that goes.

If I ever need to pull that stuff off how do I do it without totally messing up the paint :shrug: Heat?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
slot the bumper mount holes!

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tacomacalistud said:
slot the bumper mount holes!
I had the bumper adjusted and its not rubbing anymore but what I'd like to know now is how to remove the 3m clear tape if I ever have too

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
heat gun and a plastic razor blade

1 - 11 of 11 Posts