Toyota Tacoma Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1st Gen 2.4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently changed my water pump since it was leaking out of the weep hole at 126k miles on my 2001 Tacoma 5 lug 2.4L. Changed the fan clutch too since they share the same pulley. When the truck gets up to operating temp I've noticed that it's much quieter when I hit the gas and accelerate. Before this it would always have that loud air induction noise that I assumed was coming from my K&N intake.

Thoughts? Is this normal and an indication that my old fan clutch was failing or already busted? Thanks in advance.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,290 Posts
That's a new one on me ... I don't recall this being mentioned before.

Reactions: makotako

·
Registered
1st Gen 2.4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a new one on me ... I don't recall this being mentioned before.
Maybe "quieter" isn't the best word to describe it? Smoother maybe? Sounded like it usually does while I had it running with the coolant funnel on the radiator to burp out all of the air after the water pump job. Went to twist the throttle body a couple of times and then it started to sound the way it does now.

·
Mambeau / Admin
48,290 Posts
It could have been worn bearings in the water pump or fan clutch you'd previously heard when you accelerated.

I'm not sure how twisting the throttle body - even if it shifted something or opened up a point of leakage - would account for the noise reduction (unless the previous noise you'd heard wasn't coming from the water pump or fan clutch at all).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts