Toyota Provides Details of 1GR Supercharger
Posted on August 9, 2007 07:12 PM

After months of speculation, rumors, and doubt, a conversation with a Toyota representative today confirmed details of the forthcoming TRD 1GR-FE supercharger.

Some of the details below have been rumored for quite some time, but there are some interesting bits of new information as well.

An official press release should be coming soon, but here's what we now know to be fact:

• The production unit is an intercooled roots-type Eaton M90
  • Test mule trucks have seen roughly a 30% HP and torque increase. This should equate to around 70 additional (presumably crank) horsepower, resulting in just over 300HP on an otherwise stock truck.
  • There will be TWO application kits: One for Tacoma trucks and one for FJ Cruiser SUVs. There will not be separate units based on transmission.
  • The units will provide around 6.5PSI of boost
  • Installation of the unit will be simple (probably around 5 hours for a dealership), although probably a bit more involved than previous (5VZ-FE) supercharger installs due to the low temperature radiator, intercooler, and a (presumably ECU) flash. The unit utilizes a single belt with tensioner.
  • As expected, the unit will require high octane fuel, either 91 or 93 octane. Our source indicated that he has had no pinging or detonation in his unit.
  • The unit will be 50-state legal
  • MSRP on the kit will be in the "low to mid $4,000s".
  • Units will be hitting the market in early to mid September - right on schedule according to our source

Overall, the representative indicated that his supercharged truck (the red Tacoma appearing at the recent TTORA event and in our previous coverage) is very fun to drive and is "very reminiscent" of the previous 3.4L supercharged trucks.

For you 4Runner fans, it is also worth noting that they do not have any plans to release a 4Runner specific kit, and it is unknown whether either of the two versions will work properly on the 4.0L in the 4Runner.

So there you have it folks: straight from the horse's mouth. Check back here for updated coverage as the superchargers begin shipping in September.

Comments:

YES FINALLY!!! :D

Posted by: Ill06Taco on August 9, 2007 09:45 PM

hmm...we'll see...

Posted by: Troskey on August 9, 2007 10:54 PM

bye bye transmissions ;)

Posted by: Chris D. on August 9, 2007 11:06 PM

"bye bye transmissions ;)" haha I know the Aisin AY6 is supposedly rated at a max 345lbft handling capacity, but I have heard of more being put through it with no problems

Posted by: Ill06Taco on August 9, 2007 11:13 PM

Sounds like this is strictly a dealer or self install; as in, not available installed from the factory. I don't know if I trust the dealership peons to install a high $$$ item correctly and I'm too paranoid to install it myself. :)

Posted by: Taco King on August 10, 2007 08:43 PM

Thatnks but no thanks too late!

Posted by: DOGO X on August 10, 2007 09:00 PM

HMMM...SOUNDS GOOD. I WONDER HOW MUCH MY DEALER IS GOING TO CHARGE ME TO INTALL IT...
"2 MUCH"

Posted by: caesar on August 10, 2007 11:59 PM

we'll see if this happens or not, or if they are just blowing smoke up everyone's you know what. If it does go through then I will surely be buying one.

Posted by: truck_n_ninja on August 12, 2007 10:53 AM

Posted by: velocitaco on August 14, 2007 01:20 PM

I know the guy who will be receiving serial number one 4.0 TRD Supercharger. He won it at a raffle.

Posted by: TowerRigger on August 15, 2007 04:57 PM

The URD is just as good, but its not 50 state legal.....:P

Posted by: chuckstruck on August 15, 2007 06:02 PM

Once the real world number get here I might look into it. I wonder if the Gas mileage will stay around the same?

Posted by: boostjunkie1 on August 15, 2007 11:43 PM

i wonder if you are going to be able to pre-order one of these?

Posted by: mtbrulz278 on August 16, 2007 11:56 AM

Guess its about time they bring that out for the 1GR. GL TRD

Posted by: eLN_No on August 16, 2007 01:11 PM

What about my 1-GR Tundra ??

Posted by: the backpack on August 17, 2007 02:11 AM

interesting indeed...

Posted by: Nofriends22 on August 21, 2007 03:04 AM

Looks awesome, now i have to watch out for those new tacos.

Posted by: sparkytacoma on August 28, 2007 12:14 PM

defenetly interest. URD S/C is really good and produces more power but the only problem i have with it is that its not 50 state legal. and here in california the 5-0 is hard on that stuff.

Posted by: yayxrunner707 on August 31, 2007 04:04 AM

ct group buy?

Posted by: aries on September 4, 2007 04:15 AM

I just want to know when we can buy it at all

Posted by: Ill06Taco on September 4, 2007 09:30 AM

4 years late for the SuperCharger, but better than never. Can't wait to get a kit, increase boost, and install a ficken huge intercooler.

Now when are the rear disks brakes gonna appear on X-Runners?

Posted by: turn1 on September 10, 2007 03:48 PM

All of you need to be blown, ohh including me.!

Posted by: BadX on September 12, 2007 10:57 AM

RE: Turn1, rear disk brakes are already available on XR's. I got em =]

Posted by: hanjob on September 16, 2007 05:41 PM

Be nice to try out.

Posted by: transition86 on September 20, 2007 08:06 AM

Posted by: MikeHickman on September 22, 2007 11:36 PM

Spoke to dealer last week they said only 700.00 to install.

Posted by: Flash550 on October 7, 2007 05:48 PM

mid-septempber huh?...

Posted by: Ill06Taco on October 24, 2007 05:49 PM

Boy do you have a lot to learn about TRD.

Posted by: mrbigbri on October 26, 2007 06:10 PM

"With today's ECU's, transmission life should not be a concern. TRD would not be placing their name on it if there was he slightest possibility of problems."

Boy do you have a lot to learn about TRD.

Posted by: mrbigbri on October 26, 2007 06:10 PM

I Work for a Toyota dealer and just got the TRD supercharger installed a couple of weeks ago.It actually took 9.5 hours to install but the tech.is sure he can get that time down.I have an 05 Tacoma Prerunner A/T. It is pretty impressive,Gas mileage 1st tank with Turbo 108 boost was 17.2 mpg, 2nd tank no boost 15.9.I am not a 55 mph guy but the same basic route to and from work was taken.In the rain the rear end wants to be out front so I have to be careful especially on curves and overpasses.I have a guy that is going to let me dyno it at his shop so I will let you know ho it goes.

Posted by: RLAVRIN on November 29, 2007 06:00 PM

SIGN ME UP!!! Six speed with 300hp?!? I am talking rocket here. So what if I have 9 inches of clearance? It will be the "lite" version of a Baja/Stadium Truck! And street legal too, I love it!

Posted by: AquaDragon on December 26, 2007 12:37 PM

Ask TRD. http://www.trdusa.com/featuredpart.cfm?part=supercharger

Posted by: ghostsix on December 26, 2007 12:42 PM

I love mine!!!

Posted by: heeltoe989 on February 17, 2008 02:04 PM

You must be logged in to post comments to news articles Log in now >>