BusinessWeek Magazine Calls New Tacoma "A Rugged Winner"
Posted on April 21, 2006 08:56 PM

In a recent article in BusinessWeek magazine (no idea why Business Week would have an interest in reviewing vehicles), the author priases the newer Tacoma (05+) for its resale value, quiet ride, and gas mileage.

Read the full article on BusinessWeek Online >>

Comments:

This is my second Tacoma and I love my 05 PreRunner (V6, 6-spd) but the gas-mileage is poor. I average (highway and street) 15.7 or worse, depending on traffic for every fill-up. I thought VVT-i is supposed to be fuel efficient? It guzzles gas just as much as a V8- I wonder how much the Tundras are getting per gallon. Toyota is supposed to be in the cutting edge of fuel economy; I can almost guarantee Honda is way ahead on this.

Posted by: oneflip76 on April 24, 2006 03:38 PM

I have a 06 taco double cab V6 w/ 5-speed auto, I average 17-18 city,if I drive aggressive 15-16. I think the tundra is around 13-14 city, My old 90' toy v6 got around 15 mpg. Considering this truck heaver and loads more power its not that bad. My wife drives a 06 accord 4 banger, it averages 28 mpg. older honda accords got better mpg but they where gutless. this new one has 166 horsepower.

Just my two cents

Posted by: IndigoTaco on April 24, 2006 11:36 PM

I have the same 06 Taco in 4WD. I usually get 18+ MPG on mixed driving using 89 octane. Its a double cab long bed with a 200 pound bed cap. I drive up to a thousand miles a week carrying heavy loads so I'm very happy with its fuel efficiency.

Posted by: statement on May 6, 2006 01:54 PM

i have an 06 double cab prerunner 2x4 and get 19 city and 22 hwy. i'm not always to the floor with it but i don't baby it either. i got less than that in my 04 extended cab prerunner 2x4.

Posted by: tacoma_trd_man on May 14, 2006 12:24 AM

Wow, that is surprising...i've got the same truck, an `05 Prerunner V6 Access Cab but with the automatic 5 speed. I've kept record since the day I bought it and never gotten less than 15 (that was with a 12x7 enclosed trailer at highway speeds loaded right up to the 5k lbs mark.) On average 19, and I do not baby it. I do however, run only 93 octane...as the VVT-i purrs like a lion on the good stuff. I assume that would be where much of the fuel economy comes from. I've tried running 89octane and did notice about a 2mpg drop over the course of the month I ran that trial.

Posted by: TacoCapt on June 1, 2006 10:01 AM

I have an 2005 tacoma 2.7 4 banger auto with air,pretty much a base truck it has 25k on it and I do mostly in town driving.I keep track of milage real close.I also drive with a light foot.I always get over 22mpg in the city and over 25 on the highway.Many of you won't believe it but it's true.With a light foot you can really get good mpg with tacomas

Posted by: k9mike on June 18, 2006 10:29 AM

I've got an 06 Tacoma with the 2.7 4-cylinder, and auto trans. My first tank of fuel netted 22 city with literally no highway driving, however since it was a brand new truck I drove it like an old lady. Since that time I have taken one trip to North Florida and gotten 27.4 mpg with the a/c on, and running at 65 mph. I'm impressed, especially considering how strong the 2.7 runs. I had an 03 S-Runner before, and it doesn't compare to the SR's performance, but it totally blows away the old reliable 2.4 performance.

Posted by: PeteToyota on June 18, 2006 08:05 PM

I've got a 06 double cab 6' box 4x4, I get about 17-19 mpg, I drive it with a lite foot. I didn't buy for the gas milage I bought it cause Tacoma's a tough as nails. With my 26' trailer I get about 8-9mpg. I'm looking into the TRD supercharger to get a bit more power and I'm hoping the extra hoursepower might save a little gas. more powerful engine not working as hard to move the truck. if not theres always the 4.7L Iforce from a tundra. V8 power.

Posted by: heeltoe989 on June 29, 2006 02:37 PM

where can I get a supercharger for my 06 x-runner? HELP

Posted by: icemanahm on August 17, 2006 07:19 PM

I have an 01 Tacoma V6 with a TRD supercharger with a 5 speed manual and I get 15-16MPG in town and on the highway keeping the revs no higher than 2k b/w shifts. If I drive it hard, I get about 13. Not too bad considering the Supercharger and 33's.

Posted by: My6AteUr8 on October 20, 2006 07:49 PM

I have been to the dealer twice, with a lot of run-around. Why is it that when the dealer (Frank Smith in McAllen TX) check the mileage they get reading of 21 and 19 respectively, while my worst reading was under 12 and the cum ave since I have taken note of the poor mpg is 14.5 mixed? The Dealer has said that it depends on driving habits, which points to the driver (being my wife, who is one of the best drivers I know (unlike me)), the shell camper (which in my view would only help MPG, as it is level with the cab) and now on the 2nd visit tire pressure from 27 to now 29 lbs. I am really frustrated when my 1999 F150 Triton Ext Cab 4X4 gets better mileage than the Tacoma (06 X2 cab 4X4)

Does anyone ever get the impression that the dealer has a book with responses to ward off unhappy customers?

Oh the last one is where they are saying that the truck's computer needs more time to adjust to my wife's driving habits. By 7,500 miles it should figure it out. (currently it has 4,300)

Here in Texas we have a lemon law. The dealers must have a strong lobby here, as they also got the state to pass a law restrict days of operation per week to 6.

The consumer doesn't have a chance here, but I'm bull-headed to fight this one out, until I keel over.

Marty Bogart
Brownsville, TX

Posted by: mbogart on November 15, 2006 10:35 AM

You must be logged in to post comments to news articles Log in now >>