Toyota Shows Off 07 Tundra
Posted on February 9, 2006 02:32 PM

Today, Toyota pulled the wraps off of the all-new 2007 Toyota Tundra full-size truck.

As expected, the Tundra will be significantly larger than its predecessor, which was first introduced in 1999.

Major new features include an optional 5.7L i-Force V8 engine, a heavy-duty 6-speed automatic transmission, larger front disc brakes (with 4 pistons), rear disc brakes, a new -stronger- chassis, updated interior, and a back-up camera.

The truck will continue to be offered in three cab configurations and three grades: Base, SR5, and Limited. Optional engines will include the 4.0L (presumably the same used in the current Tacoma and 4Runner models), and the 4.7L i-Force V8 used in the previous generation Tundra.

Toyota has not yet released pricing information on the new model, but expects that it will be arriving on showroom floors early next year.

View the entire Toyota press release >>

Comments:

Eeesh...the front of it looks like it'd be made for a semi or something.

Posted by: dkenn75 on February 9, 2006 03:46 PM

ugly

Posted by: Balgie on February 10, 2006 12:24 AM

in black would prob look nice..

Posted by: centino on February 10, 2006 03:07 AM

i hate to say it but it kinda looks like a ford. the front does.

Posted by: jnewman550 on February 10, 2006 01:10 PM

Seemed to lose something in translation from the concept vehicle.

Posted by: Dean N. on February 10, 2006 02:41 PM

i bet in a couple of more months we will all like it i dont know about you guys but when the 05 tacos came out i thought they were ugly too, but now its great, i think people will learn to love it

Posted by: rx-runner on February 11, 2006 04:11 AM

I really dont like the front end.It looks to much like a dodge pickup now.Like everything else Toyota makes everyone will love it no doubt.I wonder what is in store for the new 2007 Tacoma?

Posted by: dw-drummer on February 13, 2006 08:41 AM

With the new power plants that are to come in the future years and the fact that Toyota is going to be taking on the 2500 class trucks i think it is a great steping stone into the full fledge full size truck market. Just the over all size of it was scary seeing it in person really made u feel like toyota is taking on ford and chevy head on.

Posted by: Buff's Taco on February 13, 2006 03:11 PM

Nasty. It looks like a Dodge/Honda Ridgeline hybrid. Ugh.

Posted by: kinewave on February 13, 2006 05:39 PM

LUV IT! CANT WAIT TO RACE ONE , KINDA HEARD THEY ARE GOING TO HAVE A 6.0 LITRE ENGINE IN IT.THEN POSSIBLY A DIESEL IN A YEAR OR TWO. THEY ALREADY PRODUCE THIS DIESEL MOTOR IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

Posted by: nxrunner on February 14, 2006 09:48 PM

Nissan Titan...

Posted by: Hipepper on February 15, 2006 01:06 AM

I like it. But I agree that something was lost from the concept. Maybe it's the massive wheels used for the concept. Put in a new set of wheels and lets try the new engine!!!..

Posted by: Maz13 on February 15, 2006 09:07 PM

Sweet. I want to see the regular cab version. The front looks massive and the back doesn't look to different from the current Tundra. I bet it must drive like a dream, fast but refined.

Posted by: SUN_TACMAN2000 on February 15, 2006 10:18 PM

Looks like a Dodge but it is a Toyota.I hope it as dependable as other toyota.But I think you should go back to the mini-truck on the Tacoma !!!And make it standard with a v6

Posted by: bamatoyota on February 16, 2006 02:31 PM

The Nose, the front end looks too bulky. Too big...too not-convenient (especially since there's a rumor that the engine might be 5.7 V8...lots of gas, and nowadays gas cost way too much). I was never a big fan of full size pick up trucks...and never will.
Too bad that the Tacoma seem to be moving in that direction.
BTW, I've heard from a friend of mine that works at Toyota that Tacoma might release a V8 (possibly the current Tundra's V8)...but we might not see it until '07-'08.
Alex

Posted by: Alex B. on February 16, 2006 06:30 PM

looks sweet to me..

Posted by: moediggs on February 20, 2006 01:54 AM

Great looking truck- more "American Looking"; might take some people to not like it at first glance. Looks like the Taco has big bro in steroids!

Posted by: oneflip76 on February 20, 2006 02:02 PM

It's decent, but it looks an awful lot like the current Dodge RAM and Ford F-150. This truck, along with the new Tacomas look a bit 'cartooney' (if that's a word - they look like they're straight out of the pages of a comic book or an anime cartoon)

If they put a diesel in, this will be one hot truck that will give Dodge/Ford/Chevy a run for their money. There's already talk about putting a diesel in the Titan, let's hope Toyota follows suit.

I got to drive a Hilux diesel in the Philippines and it was incredible. I only wish we could get that truck here in the US. http://www.toyota.com.ph/showroom/hilux/index.html

Posted by: spyd3rm4n on February 27, 2006 03:52 PM

hmm.. its definitely bigger. the front looks a little unproportional with the rear. would really like to see one in person. it does seem to be an improvement over last years...

Posted by: tacohero on February 27, 2006 09:17 PM

I have heard from reliable sources that it will have 350hp.

Posted by: boostedtrd on March 7, 2006 06:30 PM

Hello toyota's version of the ford superduty.. I'll pass thanks, maybe i'd stick with an '06

Posted by: Ta-low-ma on March 9, 2006 05:39 AM

It look fantastic. It's about time Toyota entered the heavy duty pick-up truck arena!

Posted by: PeteToyota on March 18, 2006 08:05 PM

i think it looks better on the reveal video these pics suck the nose looks alot bigger than it is but i love it and cant wait to see the #s on that 5.7 :-D

Posted by: 2rz98TacoKID on March 21, 2006 12:16 PM

Not diggin the three tone dash much

Posted by: ROBOTCarl on April 11, 2006 11:56 AM

hahaha crazy shiznit..wonder how the newer tacos ganna look,

Posted by: KingTacO6 on April 17, 2006 05:21 AM

i wish the Taco had rounded wheel wells like this Tundra does. i really liked the round over fenders on my 2002 and i really dont like the squared look of 2006 Taco. this Tundra would be a tad meaner with round over fenders and some beefier tires.

Posted by: Taco_Kid on April 20, 2006 08:08 AM

looks like a ford/dodge mutt

Posted by: teamcrmo on June 1, 2006 11:43 PM

look gay i was already pissed on how they stopped having the taco body lines on the o5 o6 but the tundra looks likes A dodge rams pretty cousin.. totally and extremely ghey

Posted by: ohshiznit on June 25, 2006 10:19 PM

Old look is way better

Posted by: 95oldschooltaco on June 26, 2006 08:26 PM

they should have never changed the look...

Posted by: NosB18 on July 10, 2006 05:21 AM

I wonder if it flys?

Posted by: xbraaapx on July 14, 2006 01:56 PM

NOT IMPRESSED. but it will most likely grow on me. i do like the interior

Posted by: Xrundan on July 23, 2006 04:37 PM

-----I wish toyota would atleast come standard with rear disk breaks and hid head lights---like all the rest of the auto makers

Posted by: mvaden on August 3, 2006 10:34 AM

its fucking huge! we cant fit them in our stalls at the dealership and trheres a rumor that they will also come out with not only a diesel but a dulee also.

Posted by: tritipvegan on August 15, 2006 09:22 PM

i only thing i dont like about the truck is the front end looks to much like a dodge

Posted by: TRD-S/C on September 5, 2006 09:48 PM

dayam...looks like a dodge/ford hybrid...

Posted by: sweetokole429 on September 7, 2006 01:00 PM

I will be driving the 07 Tundra in Indiana this October I'll fill you all in, I hear its awesome.

Posted by: jhntoyota on September 26, 2006 12:39 PM

The comparison to the Ford/Dodge is dead on the tailgate is like the Titan but the more I look the more I like.Go with a billet grill and different tire/wheel combo and your set.They are definately going to put another punch to the ribs of Chevrolet...

Posted by: xrunjon06 on October 9, 2006 03:47 AM

I see it said a lot here...they do look like a Ford from the front, but look at the 01-04 Tacoma's...they look a lot like a Ranger. Regardless; everyone knows Toyota makes a more dependable vehicle. And with domestic trucks still running a single cam vs. Toyota's DOHC...Toyota doesn't need as much effort to keep up with the big dogs. Based on Toyota's history of power to weight ratio; I'd say this new Tundra will keep up with 250/2500 series trucks. I like it. Regardless of the Ford look-a-like...it still has it's own distinguished look to it. Can't wait to test drive one.

Posted by: My6AteUr8 on October 20, 2006 07:44 PM

front end is horrible! flatten the humped hood and shorten up on the chromed front end and they'll have a winner. also, larger tires to match the size of the truck would be nice...

When are they proposing that the diesel will debut?

Posted by: eyedoc on November 18, 2006 12:10 PM

I think they got it right with the 05+ Tacoma and made a big brother. I think it is very simular in the basic lines to a Taco.

Posted by: 06 TRD SPORT on December 11, 2006 11:53 PM

I think they got it right with the 05+ Tacoma and made a big brother. I think it is very simular in the basic lines to a Taco only bigger.

Posted by: 06 TRD SPORT on December 11, 2006 11:55 PM

06 TRD SPORT Has it right they've seen how tough the 05+ tacoma's are and made a big brother.All around looks like taco's. Tha advertising Toyota has been doing through out the bowl games been good.It looks better on TV the tose pic's I've seen.

Posted by: dbdozer252 on January 7, 2007 09:46 PM

I can't believe you guys. Forget it looking like a Ford, dfinately not. The interior is luxurious as hell. which is my problem. Pick-ups shouldnt need that. Its advertising to people who dont need a pick-up or only use it driving themselves around. Great Looking, mad powerful, big beef to the grille,
I LOVE THIS TRUCK

Posted by: pmckenna on February 15, 2007 10:59 PM

I cant wait to own it i done test drove it and all i can say is wow i test drove everything else that would come close to it and it took the lead all the way even if it looks like a ford or dodge they cant beat it

Posted by: hotShot27 on February 24, 2007 04:50 PM

YOU GUYS ARE TRIPPIN.. THIS TRUCK IS TIGHT.. V8 381 HP.. 401 TQ.. ON A TOYOTA?? CMON NOW.. ITS MUCH MORE MEANER THAN A DODGE OR FORD.. AND THE PICTURE IS JUST A DOUBLE CAB.. CHECK OUT THE CREWMAX.. THEN YOULL LOVE IT.. JUS LIKE I DO.. GOTTA HAVE THE CREWMAX..

Posted by: DIPSET0611 on April 8, 2007 07:45 AM

My unit conducted an exercise at a place called Eagle Mountain (California) and we were held up from starting until Toyota completed their Tundra (Super Bowl) commerical--the one where the truck was racing toward the end of the mountain. We were hating life for that day day and a half. Toyota payed more for the venue than we did; therefore, we were on the back burner.

Posted by: SSGT/USMC on April 16, 2007 03:28 PM

You must be logged in to post comments to news articles Log in now >>