User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
03 Tacoma 2WD Too Tall

Hello everyone,

I just bought an 03 Tacoma 2.4L regular cab 2wd and I feel like it's sitting too tall in the rear. From the ground to the top of the fender arch it sit as follows. Front: 29.75" Rear: 33.75"

I'm curious, are these stock leaf springs in the back? I've searched on here for awhile now and have no images to compare mine to. I checked the part number on the KYB shocks, and they are indeed for this 2wd reg cab Taco. So that is ruled out.

I would like this truck to be sitting as close to level as possible to the front height. So if these are indeed stock leafs, is there any recommendations for lowering blocks? Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg side view copy.jpg (59.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg rear leafs copy.jpg (76.7 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 09-04-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 04:30 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Re: 03 Tacoma 2WD Too Tall

Welcome to CT!

The pics are MIA, because the forum requires you to have a certain number of posts before you can post photos.

I've sent you an email. Reply to it with the photos and I'll post them for you.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:29 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Thanks for responding. I've now tweaked the files, uploaded them as attachments, and embedded the images in your original post.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:42 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Now that I can see the images ... Hmmmmm ...

I see what you mean. It's typical for a Regular Cab of that era to have the rear sit circa 0.75" higher than the front. This was to allow for some sag when the bed was loaded down.

However, your Taco's degree of 'stinkbug' stance (rear higher than the front) is 'way out of OEM spec's.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything that's obviously NON-stock about the rear leafs.

Is it possible the previous owner had the rear leafs (re-) arched, perhaps in conjunction with a front lift that's been removed?

Another odd possibility ... Might it be that those rear shocks are not right (too long or stiff), and they're lifting the rear all by themselves?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

The previous owner was a gentleman in his late 60's who would occasionally tow a trailer with a zero turn mower. Very unlikely he would've even tried to re-arch the leaf.

The front suspension is untouched. No obvious witness marks on any of the hardware. So it's quite possible that it's the original shock and spring.

I was talking with another member and he was saying that the more rusty leaf in the middle of the leaf pack is an add-a-leaf, as the stock leaf pack is a 3 piece, not my current 4 piece. I'm very inclined to believe that because the diagram's I see on Toyota's part website show a 3 leaf pack.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 05:52 AM
Mambeau / Admin

OK - thanks for the additional info.

Sounds like the most likely explanation is that the previous owner inserted an add-a-leaf because of the towing usage.

Removing the add-a-leaf should bring the rear back down to stock height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode