User Tag List

Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Grand Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
95.5-04 coilover 4-link thread / the new thread

NOTE: This thread updates and continues the 4-link discussions from Brian's earlier thread:

https://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=136263

The other thread is stale and old with outdated pics and the 4-link doesn't look anything like the pictures in it. This is the new thread.

There is currently one 4-link kit installed and it's on voodootrip's 04 V6 s-runner with TRD supercharger. The kit was tested immediately with a dump of the clutch and the result was about a 100 yard burnout through 2nd gear with zero wheel hop as expected but the truck is so light in back for the power it's putting down he just couldn't hook up as well as we had hoped, even with 275's on all 4 corners. Removing the spare tire and replacing it with a fuel cell would help, and I do have plans on making a bolt in cradle to hold a cell in this area as an option for this kit. Another option is a rear X brace for the very end of the frame. These will not come with the kit, but would as optional items if someone wanted this.

I'm in the process of putting the 2nd kit together and it will be shipped off. It's a 99% bolt on kit with the exception of 4 tabs that will get welded to the axle housing. Common with aftermarket 4-link kits. My friend's Camaro kit is like that and his kit pales in comaprison to this kit. Everything is smaller and weaker than the parts in this one and I've been with him when he put all 400hp to the rearend and it all held up, reasuring me this kit is overkill for these trucks.

This is a true racing kit with rod ends on both ends of the forward facing links. The gas tank doesn't need to be relocated. Instead of waiting until this 2nd kit is done to post prices and info, I've decided to keep people up to speed and show them the parts and the prices.

Parts:

(2) bolt in cross members
1-3/4" x 120 4130 chromoly with special ends to bolt them to the frame. The coil over one uses factory holes to locate everything, and some holes need to be drilled.

The other one replaces the OEM rear gas tank one and has 4 tabs for the upper links, uses the factory holes, and has a special little piece to attach the gas tank strap with the factory pin.

(2) bolt on u-bolt plates
3 different holes to raise or lower the rear and re uses the stock u-bolts, or you can purchase my 1/2" grade 5 or 9/16" grade ones. They will be stock length. These u-bolt plates are what the rear of the lower links bolt to also.

(4) 1-1/2" x .250 DOM link bars
Use QA1 tube adapters made for the 250 wall material, and use 3 piece precision rod ends.

The small stuff:

(16) rod end spacers
to go between the rod ends and tabs, rod ends and u-bolt plates, and rod ends and front leaf hangers the lower bars bolt into.

(1) bolt on exhaust hanger
bolts on to the link cross member near the right frame rail and is right where the stock one was.

(1) bolt on bracket for gas tank strap

Mounting Hardware: (the nuts, bolts & washers)

gold coated fine thread grade 8, SAE washers & top lock nuts

cross members to frame
1/2" DIA.

Link bars & shocks
5/8" DIA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20101029213637.jpg (39.2 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg img20101029213249.jpg (32.3 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg chris4link.jpg (95.1 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg img20101031172751.jpg (41.0 KB, 299 views)

Checkout Streetacos on Facebook!

Last edited by Beefed Taco; 06-25-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Grand Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)
Re: 95.5-04 coilover 4-link thread / the new thread

Alright guys, I have some #'s for you. I figured rather than not post anything until it's finished, I'll let people know where I'm starting and what they'll be looking at $ wise. It will surely weed out the serious from the not so serious, or those looking for a simpler kit for bagging instead of racing.

These are real world CA prices with tax, and no markup on my end. Like usual in the real world, these are current prices and are always subject to change and beyond my control.

All parts are high quality, and prices listed are parts only.

What's missing in this post? The pieces that attach the cross members to the frame, the hardware to mount the cross members to the frame, upper & lower shock mounting hardware, link tabs, the 2 lower shock mount bolt collars, the exhaust hanger, the gas tank strap mount, shocks and coils themselves, and labor.

1st half of the project....gathering the parts.
2nd part of the project...building everything from scratch.

(4) links & (2) cross member material $202.46

(8) tube adapters $102.15

(8) rod ends $295.80

(2) pieces I use to make u-bolt plates $87.00

The 2 items pictured, finished u-bolt plates will be calculated when built

(8) link bolts / nuts / washers $21.82

(16) Streetacos spacers to go between rod ends and tabs & rod ends & leaf mounts
(not pictured)
$35

Parts Total so far $744.23
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (33.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (29.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg rodends.jpg (3.7 KB, 754 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (29.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (35.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Beefed Taco; 06-24-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM
ADMlNAHATER

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

I sorta thought the tabs would need to be welded on, I wasn't quite sure how that would work

Eagan Minnesota

For Sale: Drop spindles, coilovers, Wilwood big brake kit
https://www.customtacos.com/forum/44-...-lug-mini.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Grand Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
I sorta thought the tabs would need to be welded on, I wasn't quite sure how that would work
The other option I've always contemplated doing was a bracket that bolts to the studs (most likely longer studs that would have to be in the kit) on the 3rd member with the link tabs on it, but the tabs are kind of far away from the 3rd.

Similar to what you see in the magazines on the 4link kits for bagging the S-10's.I would need 2 versions for the different bolt patterns on the 7.5" axle vs the bigger one. I'm still looking into it, but it'll be quite a piece that would require water jetting the ring to match the stud pattern, and the entire piece would be a fairly large item in the kit, and definitely add to the cost of this already pricey setup.

Last edited by Beefed Taco; 06-25-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Pure sex.. lol, whats up guys. Anyone who wants a test ride come see me in Cali. Truck will be on travel a bit too next month to Nevada. More pics on my photobucket (SN: Voodootrip) Great job Brian!

btw: good piece of advice, go with the 225lbs springs.

Last edited by voodootrip; 06-25-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow that 4 link setup looks so perfect for our Toyota minitrucks
Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Jeezus Brian .250 wall!!? Holy bulletproof Batman!!
I guess this will hold up to 6000 RPM 25psi 2-step launches, unless the frame tears off, lol.

Great work and I must say it will hold up to anything a Tacoma can throw at it, even my LS1..without a doubt it will be 10X stronger than strong enough.

Most of the 4 link kits for muscle cars dont even use material that thick!
Old 06-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm the process of picking up a 5lug. I don't have a use for a coilover 4link but bags in the future I may consider. I wonder if something like this would work with a bag like this. Just food for thought. Wouldnt be the traditional bagged setup but may work.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:41 AM
CTC2WDCC

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacorunner87 View Post
I'm the process of picking up a 5lug. I don't have a use for a coilover 4link but bags in the future I may consider. I wonder if something like this would work with a bag like this. Just food for thought. Wouldnt be the traditional bagged setup but may work.
so you want 2 unfinished unreliable DDs? If you have no interest in a 4 link, move along.

QA Club member #11
[ryanjboutin] 9:13 pm: plus, if you can ignore a chick you railed in the ass, you can do anything, quote me on that
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Progress Pics!?

Need some ideas? Come see my build [/URL].

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in