Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Upside down or rightside up?

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Tacoma_Skater 
#1 ·
I was wondering if rear shocks should be mounted to where the rod is on top or bottom. Here is a pic of mine where the rod is on bottom and the second pic is of one with the rod up. I was told that i had mine upside down and that my shocks would not perform properly this way. I also noticed that the word 'explorer' on the shocks is upside down when i look at it. Any suggestions as to why they should be mounted like the second pic? By the way i have toxic shocks.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I always thought shocks could be mounted either way. looks better to me with the rod pointing to the ground. I also think having it point down helps it to resist getting debris in the shock. But I could be wrong, maybe certain shocks need to be mounted differently???? :shrug:
by the way your setup looks sweet in the back. That's the route I'll be going someday but probably with 4x4 springs.

#8 ·
The body is filled with oil, and this oil gets pushed through little holes and creates resistance, which is why it's hard to push and pull a shock in and out. Gravity plays a big part with the oil sitting inside.:waytogo: have you done the zip-tie on the rod yet, to see if it's bottoming out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.