User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hub centric rings & Rhino rims issues?

Hey All,
This is Cherie from Vancouver, Wa. I have a '15 Tacoma TRD Sport Access cab that I bought new tires & rims for in March. Here's the deal....

Over the last several weeks with 8 visits to 2 shops no one can get my baby driving smooth again. I've had the tires balanced every time, an alignment, & now hubcentric plastic rings. 2 tires have already been replaced (everything was brand new the end of March) so what is the problem? I've never had these issues before & I don't know who to believe at this point.

The vibration is definitely in the steering wheel at speeds over 50mph. They replaced the lug nuts with locking ET lugs promising this should take care of it. I've read opinions good/bad on these rings so is it because they're plastic? Inalso have read they shouldn't be necessary. Needless to say, I'm about ready to rip someone a new one! Any suggestions? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:56 PM
Addict

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Re: Hub centric rings & Rhino rims issues?

I don't have any experience with Hub centric plastic rings. Many years ago I had a shop that did not balance my new tires correctly and it would ride rough after 60 mph. Then by luck I found a different tire shop and explained to them what the problem was and they balanced the tires correctly and then it would ride smooth at 100 + MPH and now I only take it to that shop.

Mad Maxx
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Mad Maxx!

I'm going to take her in to the dealership at this point. I want to get to the bottom of the issues & take good care of her. I love that truck!

😍 Cherie Jo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

The fact that hub-centric rings are in play means that your new wheels / rims have a centerbore larger than the hub diameter.

I can't tell much more than that without knowing the details on the wheels (exact model / size spec's / offset or backspacing / etc.).

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hi Enola,

Here's a pic of my receipt & one of the truck tire/wheel. Hope this is the info you're referring to.

Thanks,
Cherie Jo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180629_231203_1530339332322.jpg (22.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 15303393504753156106823475261024_1530339382991.jpg (17.9 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

Thanks for the documentation ...

According to the Black Rhino specs listing for the Sierra wheels:

https://www.blackrhinowheels.com/off...ims-sierra.php

... the 17X9 rims have a centerbore of 112mm. Your Taco's hub diameter is 106mm. The hub-centric rings are intended to fill the 6mm (total) gap between the hub and the wheel.

What size hub-centric rings were installed? I've read that (for reasons unknown ... ) some folks claim it's best to use hub-centric rings with an inner diameter of 108mm rather than 106mm. I have no idea why this would be advisable.

It could be the problem is resulting from the type of lug nuts being used. Tacomas use a flat shank-style OEM lug nut, and (depending on Taco / wheels) the acorn-style lug nuts don't always work well in securing the wheels to the hubs.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode