03 Tacoma Suspension Question - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
03 Tacoma Suspension Question

I've seen a few of these questions pop up now and then and all the drama/heat it brings but i've never really seen an answer on it, guess it's my turn to ask now..Is it possible/what's the best way to lower the stock height of the 4x4 Tacoma? I'm not looking to slam my 4wd but would like to see if it's possible to get it to stock 2wd height. Before all the buy a 2wd etc, i bought it cause it was an amazing deal. I've used 4x4 twice since i've owned it for a really heavy snow to get out of my drive way and then off it went. I built a custom show bike and would like to get the truck lower to throw it in the bed to haul places.

Changing rims/tires, shocks/springs/leafs etc. is any of that able to achieve the height/look of the 2nd picture?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Re: 03 Tacoma Suspension Question

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) I'll be blunt and to the point ... Nope, it can't happen - not unless you're willing to invest in a lot of custom surgery and fabrication that will end up costing a lot more than the truck is worth (and probably reducing its carry capacity for haulling your show bike).

The 6-lug (4X4; PreRunner) suspension is a whole different setup from the 5-lug (2WD mini) setup. These differences run all the way down to the frames and attachment points.

If you were to want to preserve the 4WD capability, the whole transfer case / front driveline stuff would need to be heavily modified just to make room for the general drop.

Even if you'd be satisfied just to drop the 4X4 a couple of inches with different springs, etc., there'd be a lot of tweaking necessary to keep the front driveline.

Even if you'd start with a 6-lug 2WD PreRunner, there'd be a limit to how far you could lower it without getting into frankenstein fabrication / mods.

You indicated you expected the "cheaper to swap it out for a 2WD mini" advice, so I won't push that angle (though it's still the fact of the matter).

Your best and most economical option is to shift your focus and work on ramps (whatever) for getting your show bike into the bed of the 4X4 you already have.

That's it in a nutshell.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: 03 Tacoma Suspension Question

I was kinda thinking that'd be the case but wanted to double check as the only threads i ever saw like this were people wanting to slam 4wd trucks and not bring them to 2wd height range. Looks like i'll be throwing the truck up for sale while i keep an eye out for some 2wd deals. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in