2003 Tacoma Elocker Repair - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2003 Tacoma Elocker Repair

2003 tacoma 3.4 dbl cab 4x4 trd offroad. Quick question on the rear elocker.

Mine was full of mud, cleaned it all out and got it working again, but it hits the bump stops on the inside cover and overrides the lip and gets stuck. When it does that, the commutator and the gear dont mesh anymore and if i keep banging 12volts on it, i know ill strip the platic gear. I welded two little ends on the gear that contacts the pins on the inside case to hopefully make it stop, but the motor is so powerful it overrode the inside stop again and gets stuck.

My question is if I grind off the lump bump stop on the inside, will the 3 pins tell that gear to stop on those 2 plastic contacts on the gear? I am so frustrated with this elocker. My hope is that inside the diff on that sliding gear will stop it too, but i dont wanna break the inside of my differential
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Re: 2003 Tacoma Elocker Repair

Not sure why it is not stopping internally.. did you index gears properly?
Heres a link
https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/g...c-locker-motor

hope that helps
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think Im lining it up right, ive almost got it at 12 o clock and a little to the right on that angle, using that top and bottom hole technique, i think to line it up in locked mode right?

It keeps hitting the inside cover and gets stuck on the smiley face thing on the thin inside cover. Im about to put a screw thru it and weld it on the cover so it will stop.

Anyone tried welding that aluminum cover ive got 6013 spark box sticks and 7010s, does anyone have advise for what rod i can use for that material? I tried already when i was just pissed at the thing and it was dirty but i was so tired i tried it anyway with a wire brush drill, soap and water and nothing sticks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well ya dont electrify moreover. Haha, if that gear disc is supposed to make it stop on those pins why aint it working, must only be for the dash light, the darn thing keeps spinning on me with 12 volts on it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Oh wait a sec, i think im only powering the motor with those two wires, im not powering the other 3 wires i bet thats why its not working right....im an idiot
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Re: 2003 Tacoma Elocker Repair

Yeah.. power it off the factory ECU circuitry so the limit switches do their thing LOL!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Omg what a dumbass lol, yaaa, Ill blame it on the beer....NOT! Haha oops... can someone chime in on how far to the right for this elocker to operate correctly. Im a little to the right on center of studs, and im having a hell of a time getting it to work right. Should I max it out on lock, or is that sweet spot just over 12oclock to the right, for the factory actuator? Can someone help me out with the lining up of this thing? Ive read alot, but aint there someone who can say i need more grab to the right for the factory locker, or keep it around 12 oclock?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Im askin that because it seems maxed out on stop, on full lock will dig in more to the rack gear to the left, rather than a little past 12 oclock would give me you know what I mean
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Okay thanks for the help guys, but ill try to add some more help to anyone who may be frustrated with the factory elocker after a rebuild. If you maybe changed your magnets, or they fell off, its possible you did check correctly and it works, however, you may have changed the polarity of the motor wires on the green and green red wires for the motor itself. It my work backwards, in my case, it seemed to have. I had to de pin the harness on the actuator and flip the green and green red wires to the other position to get the motor to spin the correct way. Yes, i couldve chopped and soldered them at the wires, but i depinned it and flipped them. Maybe this will help somebody.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode