Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Factory front coil spring rate?

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mtucker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Just picked up an '03 PreRunner where the prior owner had mystery shocks added all around. To get the proper TRD designed ride I am hoping to order factory spec. Bilstein shocks and springs. The original TRD springs are bye-bye so they can't be moved over.

Checking Toyota part guides, I find these springs listed as - 4X4 with auto, manual, double cab, or w/o double cab. No listing for RWD. Thinking the lightest flavor would be - 4X4, manual, w/o double cab. I read somewhere the RWD PreRunners had their own spring spec.? The bilsteins shouldn't be an issue to find just the springs.

Don't want a lift, just the proper spring rate for the buggers. Any tips would be great. I'm guessing the 'lightest' 4X4 truck spec would be best? The PreRunner is an access cab with an auto for weight comparison. There may be a newer shock Bilstien specs that I won't spot, so any shock part numbers that are near or better than factory would be great.

#2 ·
Hi all, Just picked up an '03 PreRunner where the prior owner had mystery shocks added all around. To get the proper TRD designed ride I am hoping to order factory spec. Bilstein shocks and springs. The original TRD springs are bye-bye so they can't be moved over.

Checking Toyota part guides, I find these springs listed as - 4X4 with auto, manual, double cab, or w/o double cab. No listing for RWD. Thinking the lightest flavor would be - 4X4, manual, w/o double cab. I read somewhere the RWD PreRunners had their own spring spec.? The bilsteins shouldn't be an issue to find just the springs.

Don't want a lift, just the proper spring rate for the buggers. Any tips would be great. I'm guessing the 'lightest' 4X4 truck spec would be best? The PreRunner is an access cab with an auto for weight comparison. There may be a newer shock Bilstien specs that I won't spot, so any shock part numbers that are near or better than factory would be great.​
I don't have any info about the springs. I know the TRDs had Bilstein shocks and a lockable rear differential, but I didn't know they had different springs (they certainly may though).
For the Bilstein shocks, you may consider the Bilstein 5100 shocks. They are a very popular shock for 1st gen Tacomas. They have an adjustable clip so you can pre-load the springs a bit to get the front end higher (so the truck doesn't sit so stink bug), but you don't have to use them to raise the front. You can put the clip at the no-lift groove. I am not sure how they compare price-wise to OEM Bilsteins. Here is a link to them. https://wheelersoffroad.com/i-25489710-bilstein-5100-height-adjustable-front-shock-pair.html Wheelersoffroad has both the original 5100s that have three positions and a heavy duty wiper or for $50 more you can get the newer ones with four positions and a boot that covers the shock shaft. I have had both. I put about 120K miles on the older ones and replaced them with the newer ones recently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.