User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help on leaf springs!

Hello to all,
I have an 05 Tacoma ext. cab 4x4 sport. As with most all Tacomas from 05 my leaf springs had a reverse arc. Dropped some coin and picked up a new set of their "stock + 3/4" and an extra 600lb capacity" leaf springs from Northwest Offroad (NWOR) Took some time out of my day today to install, went in without to much trouble and got it all back together.
Before I started I measured from the ground to the bottom of the receiver, that measurement was 15 1/2", after the install I measured to the same location and that measurement is 20 3/4".
Boy howdy it does look stupid, rear of truck is sitting over 5" higher than front and it feels like I am going to slide out of the seat when driving. After a quick test ride I notice 2 new things, a much smoother ride and a vibration coming from somewhere under the truck, driveline?
Has anyone on this site ever installed the stock + 3/4' springs from NWOR?
I'm thinking maybe they mislabeled some springs or mixed things up in shipping. Going to need a much bigger set of grippers to fill in all of that open wheel well space.
Since I am this deep what would be a decent option for leveling the front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:16 PM

Re: Help on leaf springs!

Vibration would come from your driveshaft. If you have a 2 piece driveshaft you could shim the carrier bearing some.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

NWOR only advertises a maximum of circa 4" lift from their 2005+ rear spring sets.

Have you double-checked the part numbers from the springs (or shipping documentation, or whatever ...) to make sure what you got is what you wanted?

The 2005+ set that should have yielded only about 3/4" lift with up to 700 lbs. additional load carrying capacity is their part number N73560.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Item ordered was the N73560, the sticker on the leafs also show the same number. For the sake of conversation even adding 3/4" to stock height should not produce a vibration in the driveline. Yes the driveline has a carrier bearing and I will take your advice and add some shims.
Well here is another one for you, since Toyota picked a vendor that produced the rear leafs, what are the chances that the same vendor produced the front coil springs, and if that is the case then what would the chances of the front coils also sagging? It is my understanding (based on information from this site) that a lower grade steel was used in the leaf springs.
Thanks
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 01:39 PM

Leafs actually will settle down and lower the truck usually after a couple loads.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:16 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

This item helps that driveline vibe that is so inherent with these Tacos and Tundras. They come 1-1/2" for rear lifts 4" and under and 2-1/4" for rear lifts higher. I sell A LOT of these things. The bearing needs to drop more than spacers or shims commonly found in aftermarket lift kits provide.

http://stores.streetacos.com/carrier...ceted_search=0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05+CBD1.5.jpg (21.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg INSTALL 3.jpg (42.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CBD ASSEMBLE 1.jpg (54.0 KB, 7 views)

Checkout Streetacos on Facebook!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode