top toyota exec. leaves toyota and joins chrysler. - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
top toyota exec. leaves toyota and joins chrysler.

Jim Pres leaves toyota. He is hailed as a genious in knowing what the companies need to offer and what cars they should make. He is spot on! This is a major Cue (don't think I spelt it right)

liberals, hard on fetuses soft on terrorism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 10:26 AM
~Counter Terrorist~

Re: top toyota exec. leaves toyota and joins chrysler.

Geez i hope it wont hurt toyota in the future.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It doesn't make sense. I met him out in Indiana at the assembly plant and he was such a dedicated man. But everything in life comes down to $$$$$$
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramphonic View Post
It doesn't make sense. I met him out in Indiana at the assembly plant and he was such a dedicated man. But everything in life comes down to $$$$$$
I think it makes perfect sense. If he feels he already accomplished all he could at Toyota then it's time to move on, and what better company to prove how good he is then an ailing Crystler?

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

If Toyota wants him back, they'll just buy Chrysler.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

chrysler sucks

1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Auto. (White): SOLD
2000 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 (Salsa Red): Current

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649704
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Tacoholic

Has this been been verified in some way? Not that I doubt you or anything but this is just the first I have seen of it and you didnt post a news article or anything....
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 05:50 PM
This Space For Rent

Well, here's the press release about this topic, nothing saying where Press is headed to:

Toyota Motor North America Announces New President
09/06/2007 New York

September 6, 2007 - New York - TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA (TMA) announced today that Jim Press, TMA president and a Toyota Motor Corporation (TMC) senior managing director, will resign from both positions effective September 14, 2007. Shigeru Hayakawa, currently TMA's executive vice president, will be named president of TMA and will continue to serve as a TMC managing officer.

Press joined Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. in 1970 and has been a key driving force behind Toyota's U.S. operations for 37 years. Regarding his departure from Toyota, Press said, "Toyota has been the centerpiece of my life. This was the most difficult decision I have made, but I am truly looking forward to an exciting new chapter in my career."

TMC President Katsuaki Watanabe commented, "Jim has played a significant role in strengthening Toyota's presence in the U.S. I was looking forward to him playing a bigger role as a member of our management team, so I am sorry to see him leave.
I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude for all he has done for Toyota."

Hayakawa joined Toyota in 1977. He started in the overseas department of the Public Affairs Division, where his responsibilities included international media relations, government affairs, investor relations and corporate advertising. In 1994 he began a six year assignment in New York at TMA. He became head of the International Communications Department in 2002 and general manager of the Public Affairs Division in 2005. He was named managing officer of TMC and executive vice president of TMA in 2007.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

Its confirmed:
http://www.nyse.com/interface/jsp/NH...sdowjones=true
Quote:
Chrysler LLC announced Thursday that Jim Press, after 37 years of helping rival Toyota steadily move toward becoming the world' biggest automaker, will join the now-privately held company as vice chairman and president.

Press, who at age 60 made headlines earlier this year as the first non- Japanese president of Toyota North America and the first and only foreign member of its 30-person board, will report to Chrysler's recently crowned CEO Bob Nardelli.

The unexpected move comes at a historic time of change for Chrysler, which recently left the DaimlerChrysler (DAI) fold to become part of Cerberus Capital Management.

"Wow, this is a huge surprise," said Dave Cole, chairman for the Ann Arbor, Mich.-based Center for Automotive Research. "This is a real coup for the new Chrysler. I believe it will give the Chrysler turnaround significantly more credibility. Again, wow!"

Press will team with Vice Chairman and President Tom LaSorda, who will continue to oversee manufacturing and labor, as Chrysler's executive team makes a push to wring out landmark health-care and pension concessions from the United Auto Workers.

Press will be in charge of sales and product strategy.

"I relish this new opportunity with the Chrysler team to be a part of the resurgence of a true American icon here and around the world," Press said in a statement. Chrysler is also looking to rebound from a first-quarter operating loss of nearly $2 billion.

"Part of my new responsibilities will be strengthening and energizing the dealer body," he added. "This is something I was passionate about at Toyota and will be passionate about at Chrysler."

Press began his career in 1968 at Ford Motor Co (F) before moving over to Toyota two years later. As he climbed the ladder at Toyota, he earned a reputation as a talented salesman and was well known for forging strong ties with Toyota's U.S. dealer network.

Toyota (TM) promoted Shigeru Hayakawa, who is currently Toyota Motor North America's executive vice president, to succeed Press as president of its North America unit.

Press is the second Toyota executive to leave for Chrysler in recent months. Lexus marketing chief Deborah Wahl Meyer joined Chrysler as chief marketing officer in August.
Im kinda surprised at this news, but I wish Jim Press all the luck in the world. He is going to need it when Chrysler goes bankrupt.

90% of all Ford, GM and Dodge trucks are still on the road. The other 10% actually made it home...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Tacoholic

That may not have been the best career move...

R.I.P. SGT John Kyle Daggett
9/30/86 - 5/18/08
Killed in action

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode