Tailshaft bushing - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tailshaft bushing

I need some info please....I have a 99' Tacoma DLX 2.4 RWD automatic transmission and I've just replaced the universal joints in it but I now have a leak in the extension housing area where the tailshaft emerges and some movement in the tailshaft that's causing a vibration. Can anyone point me in the direction of what and where I can get the correct parts to repair this issue? All seals needed, bushings, etc. etc. that I will need to have to complete the repair when I remove the extension housing to fix. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Re: Tailshaft bushing

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Is this a Regular Cab or an XtraCab? If it's an XtraCab, my guess would be that the pinion angle is probably 'off'. If it's a Regular Cab, it could still be a pinion angle problem.

I'm focused on the angle issue because you mentioned vibration.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
It's a regular cab, I'm on a 2" block in the rear so there is no major drop at all to the truck just leveling it with the front. It's always been the way it sits now since I bought it new in 99' and I've never had any of these issues so my problem is more of a repair/maintenance issue than anything else, but the info on the parts needed for this maintenance issue has not been easy to find. Case in point.....some call it a tailshaft bushing, some call it output shaft bushing, inner seal, outer seal, ????????. So you see my problem, I just need to repair this area.
Tacoma has 199,000 miles on it and never been in the internals of the engine or the transmission because I havnt had to do anything, oil changes, plugs, etc. etc. has ALWAYS been done at 3000 miles or whatever my set routine maintenance schedule might be it's just this particular part is worn out.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Something occurred to me once I knew you had blocks in the rear ...

Could the blocks have slipped out of position while you were working on the driveshaft, and that's throwing things off?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I checked those but I think maybe I havnt explained my issue correctly.....I know for a fact the tailshaft bushing is bad from worn ujoints, after dropping the driveshaft and seeing the trickle of fluid I checked the tailshaft and it has alot more play (motion) than it should have in it so the vibration is amplified now that the ujoints have been replaced and is centrally located right in the center of the truck. I just cannot locate the parts that I need to repair the issue. I find some mention of parts needed to fix and when I go to check them they do not fit my truck, so I just need the info on where I might be able to find the correct set of bushing, seal , and whatever else I will need to replace and fix the tailshaft slop. But 150% know for a fact the bushing is bad. I've checked carid, rock auto, etc. etc. to no avail my service manual doesn't even give a good diagram or part numbers.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Mambeau / Admin

On a 1999 5-lug 2RZ Regular Cab, the auto transmission is an A43D.

Here (attached) are the 1995.5 - 2000 A43D components diagram segment for the Extension Housing and the Extension Housing inspection document.

First - the bad news. Look at the Extension Housing inspection doc. According to it you replace the entire housing if the measurement is unacceptable.

Here's the only parts diagram I can find ...

It appears that you'll need:

- the big gasket for mating the Ext Housing to the main tranny case
- the 'gasket' shown for the 'oil apply tube', and ...
- sealant (Loctite)

The sealant is called out in the reassembly instructions below:
-------------------------------

(b) Install the extension housing with a new gasket to the
case.

(c) Apply sealant to the bolt A.

Sealant:
Part No. 08833−00080, THREE BOND 1344, LOCTITE
242 or equivalent

(d) Install and tighten the 6 bolts.

HINT: The 2 lower bolts are shorter.

Torque: 34 Nm (345 kgfcm, 25 ftlbf)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A43D-ExtHous-Parts.jpg (24.9 KB, 6 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NO_023EXTENSIONHOUSING.pdf (30.3 KB, 3 views)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
That is exactly what I've been looking for, now at least I've got the basic idea of the situation and a road map to help get me there. I appreciate the quick responses and you taking the time to pass along the information. If I had known I'd receive the help I needed I'd have done this week's a go. Thanks again
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 07:36 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Glad to have helped.

One additional note ... In the reassembly instructions it says to apply Loctite to 'bolt A'.

None of the diagrams / illustrations designated a particular 'bolt A' (a single bolt), and none of the documentation indicated 'bolt A' meant "the bolts labeled as 'A' " (the whole set of 6 bolts).

As a result, I'm not sure whether they were advising you to add Loctite to one bolt or all the bolts.

I'm not even sure whether they were referring to the bolt holding the Vehicle Speed Sensor.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode