Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

"Lower bushings bad." Help pls

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZIP671 
#1 ·
I have an 01 4x4 3.6l extra cab. It's lifted with an OME 3" kit put on a couple years ago.

Recently truck was riding really bad. This is what I recently had done at the mechanic. I have learned when it comes to some (important) things it's better, for me at least, to pay a professional before I screw it up worse :/

He replaced a tie-rod on passenger front. He replaced upper/lower ball joints. Said couldn't find just upper control arm so he left that. While he was at it he did second timing belt change, water pump, ignition coil, plugs and wires.
I got 5 new tires...

Drives like new... pulls a tiny bit to left. My guy doesn't do alignments so I took it to the shop he recommended for that. They told me "Lower Bushings Bad." That's all they said, I should have asked for more specifics but I'm no mechanic. THey quoted me 992$ to change lower bushings and do the alignment. Said can't do alignment because the bad bushings are constantly changing the alignement.

I will be speaking with my original mechanic (he's good, and honest, thank god) 1. I'd be a little surprised if he missed bad bushings, 2. I'd like his 2nd opinion, 3 I'd like a quote from HIM to do the work.

I guess my questions is how do I tell if they actually bad? I did see the guy at the alignment shop - he had the truck on the rack, opened driver door and (I assumed) was wiggling steering wheel? I don't know, maybe he was pushing tires back and forth? I did see a little play there, but I don't know if he was manipulating the tires or the steering wheel.'

What are your guys (much more experienced) thoughts? What about that price they quoted me?

Thanks a lot guys.

Todd

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't know about the price estimate.

If your original mechanic wasn't asked or instructed to do any alignment, he may have had no reason to check or evaluate the bushings. If he was replacing the front suspension / steering components you mentioned he may or may not have had occasion to notice the bushings were worn (or whatever).

I'd swing back by the original mechanic, report what the alignment shop had told you, and get his opinion.

Whether you ask him if he'd be willing to do the bushings - and at what price - is up to you. Bear in mind if he does the bushings you'll still need to get it aligned.

#3 · (Edited)
For that price quote.. I would think they were referring to lower control arm bushings which takes a bit of labor to perform. Might be cheaper to purchase control arm assemblies from https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2001,tacoma,3.4l+v6,1375343,suspension,control+arm,10401 or some place similar. Also something for them to look at are the steering rack bushings. When worn, they can cause your alignment to shift constantly. One of the bushings is not serviceable from Toyota, but is available from the aftermarket.. usually in urethane for a less sloppy steering feel
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...375343,steering,rack+and+pinion+bushing,11363

#4 ·
Hey guys thanks SO MUCH for th he info! 1 I'm sorry for the late reply still trying to pay off the last round of work done on the Tacoma. Will definitely look into those lower control arm bushings I know my mechanic did mention upper control arm? Is there such thing? And does anyone have a link to where I could get those? Thank you so much in advance

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.