1996 2.7l engine swap to 2002 pre runner 2.7l - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1996 2.7l engine swap to 2002 pre runner 2.7l

Hey I have a 1996 tacoma with the 2.7 in it and i need to replace the motor in it. I have found a 02 pre runner with the 2.7 also. I was just wondering can I swap out the 96 2.7l with the 02 pre runner 2.7l? any thoughts or comments? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Re: 1996 2.7l engine swap to 2002 pre runner 2.7l

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) If you're looking for a 'science project' that will eat up a lot of time and money in return for little more than bragging rights - OK. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it, because ...

Depending on how much engine (short block vs. the whole enchilada) you'd be transplanting, there could be some major adaptations involving the engine alone. Your '96 has a distributor ignition. By 2002 there were entirely different emissions components, different sensors, different manifolds, ports, timing specs, etc., etc.

I'm pretty confident you'd spend as much time and money on a new ECM, emissions-related stuff, sensors, and tricky re-wiring as you would on the engine transplant in and of itself.

Your most straightforward swap would be a 3RZ with a distributor, which means a donor engine from a 1995.5 or 1996 Tacoma. The DIS (electronic ignition) was adopted for the 3RZ in the 1997 model year.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Thank you i appreciate it. ill be on the lookout for a motor then. so the only motor that will work without replacing a pile of stuff on the motor is a 1995.5 or 1996? is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubyShep09 View Post
Thank you i appreciate it. ill be on the lookout for a motor then. so the only motor that will work without replacing a pile of stuff on the motor is a 1995.5 or 1996? is that right?

Just so we're clear ... You can swap a later 3RZ into your Taco. The potential problems lie in however many other things you'd have to adapt, add, or change to make it work for reliable everyday use.

If your donor engine is a 1997 or later, it'll have the electronic ignition (no distributor), and you'd be looking at substantial re-wiring (maybe an entire new harness) plus another ECM.

The farther you go past 1996 for a donor engine, the more additional stuff *other than the engine itself* you'll have to deal with to make it work as intended.

So ...

Either a 1995.5 or 1996 3RZ would be the only candidates to consider if you want the swap to be as 'plug and play' as possible.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 09:44 PM
arc
Enthusiast

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
Just so we're clear ... You can swap a later 3RZ into your Taco. The potential problems lie in however many other things you'd have to adapt, add, or change to make it work for reliable everyday use.

If your donor engine is a 1997 or later, it'll have the electronic ignition (no distributor), and you'd be looking at substantial re-wiring (maybe an entire new harness) plus another ECM.

The farther you go past 1996 for a donor engine, the more additional stuff *other than the engine itself* you'll have to deal with to make it work as intended.

So ...

Either a 1995.5 or 1996 3RZ would be the only candidates to consider if you want the swap to be as 'plug and play' as possible.
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the head that is different? he could use the block, I believe this is how it is on the 2rz. you would need to keep all your accessories and wire harness.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:51 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it the head that is different? he could use the block, I believe this is how it is on the 2rz. you would need to keep all your accessories and wire harness.
Yes, the head was the big change in 1998.

And yes - swapping heads can be done.

But ... A lot of other things changed between 1996 and 2002, so there might still be some auxiliary swapping / adapting to be done.

The OP seemed to want as straightforward a solution as possible.

Also, he didn't specify what went wrong with the original engine, so I had no basis for knowing how much (if any ... ) of the OEM motor could be re-used or swapped over to the donor engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode