S-Runner: 15x8 0 Offset w/ 255/60R15 (?) - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

Old 11-17-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question S-Runner: 15x8 0 Offset w/ 255/60R15 (?)

Hi guys,

I have an '01 S-Runner, stock height, and am in the market for new wheels and tires. I want something meatier that pokes out to the width of the fender flares, at least.

I'm looking at these JEGS Sport Star wheels in 15x8, with 0 offset (4.5" backspacing) -- probably with 255/60R15 tires:

jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/66171/10002/-1

I've been using the search function to find trucks with a similar setup, but haven't found a clear answer or pic of the same setup. These wheels work / look great on 5-lug Mustangs, which makes me think they could work.

But this is all I could really find:

customtacos.com/forum/16-2wd-wheels-tires/185178-help-wheels-tires-02-2wd.html#post2083530
customtacos.com/forum/56-1995-5-2004/157800-15x8-4-50-backspacing-5-lug-mini-2.html#post1878999
customtacos.com/forum/14-2wd-suspension/177001-thought-i-d-post-some-pics-my-taco.html#post2022849

I *think* it will be what I'm looking for -- the wheels/tires poking out slightly to the fender flares or slightly past them -- but can anyone point to me to a similar setup or have any input before I order a wheel and tire for test mounting?

Thank you!

P.S.

Here's the look I'm going for, but could not identify these wheels: customtacos.com/forum/56-1995-5-2004/196775-can-you-identify-these-wheels.html#post2122043
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Re: S-Runner: 15x8 0 Offset w/ 255/60R15 (?)

I'm not clear on how far you want the wheels / tires to extend in relation to the fenders / flares. Do you want the wheel / tire combo:

- to tuck?
- to be flush?
- to stick out past the fender / flare?

The examples of similar setups you identified are all on regular (non-SR) 5-lug minis. You need to bear in mind that your S-Runner sits lower than a regular mini. This means you'll be working with less clearance at the top than you would have with a regular mini.

Also bear in mind that if you mount wheels / tires extending outside the fenders you're going to get a lot of splash-back (water; mud; etc.) on your side panels behind the wheel wells.

The SR flares are narrower than the 4WD flares, and there's no spec for the distance from the WMS to the flare's outer edge. You'll need to make some careful measurements of this distance if you want the tires' outer edges to be relatively flush with the flares.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Old 11-18-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for the response, Enola Gaia!

I'd like the wheels / tires to be flush with the SR fender flares -- or close. I don't want them to stick out enough to have splash-back issues, but I would like a wider, meatier stance -- more of a muscle car/truck look, with white letter tires.

I was hoping to find similar setups, or examples of people using the 15x8 / 0" offset / 4.5" bs wheels that seem so common at outlets like JEGS, Summit Racing, etc.

Since the truck is remaining at stock SR height, and the 255/60/15 tires should only be .8" taller than the stock 235/55/16 tires (according to tiresize.com), I was hoping the height clearance wouldn't be an issue.

I'd be grateful for any additional advice, recommendations, or examples of stock height SRs with flush setups . Even setups that have a meatier "muscle truck" look, whether flush or not.

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Okay, I ordered one of these JEGS wheels to test. When it came, I realized it was made by Vision Wheels, and it's their 521 Nitro -- in case anyone is looking at these same wheels.

It looks like they will just barely poke outside the fenders -- maybe 1/8" -- which is okay with me. It's hard to tell with the suspension uncompressed, since it throws off the angles, but I laid a flat edge against the wheel to see how far out it sticks. You can see in the attachment.

My next question is tires. I want the tire to have enough "balloon" from the rim to help guard against curb rash. What do you think of a 255/60/15 tire on a 15x8 rim? According to tiresize.com, this will only 0.8 inches taller than the stock 235/55/16, 0.7 inches wider, and throw off the speedo by just 2.1 mph at 70 mph. Since I'm not lowering the truck, I would like a slightly taller tire like this to help fill the fender gap.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vision-Nitro-521-15x8-Tacoma-1.jpg (98.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Vision-Nitro-521-15x8-Tacoma-2.jpg (98.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Vision-Nitro-521-15x8-Tacoma-3.jpg (47.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Vision-Nitro-521-15x8-Tacoma-4.jpg (57.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Thanks for the details and photos.

After looking at some tire / wheel calculators, and for what it's worth ...

IMHO you've done a good job of specifying the tire size / profile that satisfies your goals

Personally, I'm still concerned about the tire / fender (and flare) clearance.

You want to fill the fender with a tire that will definitely extend outboard beyond the fender / flare line. The obvious potential problem is rubbing. You're wanting to cut it close (with respect to fender / flare clearance or gap), and I'm not sure how close is too close for comfort.

I estimate the 255/60/15's will reduce the gap between tire and fender / flare by 7/16" - 0.5". Do some measurements / eyeballing to see what losing 0.5" of clearance will look like and if you think it's no problem.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you damage or break one of those SR flares (e.g., by bottoming out in a pothole) you'll have a helluva time replacing it.

I checked for a slightly lower profile 255 / 15, but as far as I can tell nobody seems to offer one.

One other thing ... Shifting the wheel parameters and tire height as you specify is going to affect your handling and ease of steering, because it will increase your scrub radius in the positive direction. I don't know of a good way to predict what will change or how much it will change. All I can tell you is that it *will* change.

As long as you're intending to use the SR for basic street / highway cruising (with no hard cornering, carving up twisty roads at high speed, or off-pavement use) I suspect your planned setup will be OK.

Good luck with it, and please report back to us here on CT how it turns out.

(No warranties, express or implied ... )

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Old Today, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for the well-considered (as always) response, Enola Gaia.

I hear you on the tire / fender (and flare) clearance. I hadn't considered how the tires being outboard (or even flush with) the flares could put them at risk with max compression of the suspension. I'm considering two options:

1. If I *could* find a stock diameter tire, do you think the flares would be safe? For instance, a 245/60/15 would be only 0.2" less clearance than the stock tire, and a 235/60/15 would be 0.05" more clearance.

2. Also, instead of the 15x8, I could try their 15x7 with 0 offset and 4.0" backspace, which if my calculations are correct, would move the wheel/tire inboard by 1/2". It would be less aggressive, but quite possibly better fit and function?
Old Today, 01:26 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Generally speaking, a 7.5" wheel width represents the point where rubbing, etc., gets to be an issue on lowered Tacos. I mention this just as a somewhat relevant point, even though you said you weren't looking to lower your SR.

As a result, I think a 7" (or maybe even a 7.5") wheel width would be a safer option as far as clearance and drive-ability are concerned.

However, I must also cite the longstanding CT mantra: "It's your truck."

If the wide-tire look is important to you, I'm not going to dispute or debate it.

The damage-to-flares issue is, of course, dependent on how you use the truck and where you drive it. There's no way to predict whether or not you'll ever rub, much less damage, the flares.

I only wanted to point out that the SR flares were peculiar to the relatively rare SR model / package, and replacement would be a pain. You'd either have to track down some sort of OEM replacement (I believe they're similar if not identical to the narrow '98 - '00 PreRunner flares) or else replace all 4 using aftermarket products to preserve consistency at all 4 wheel wells.

Assuming your SR's suspension is in good shape I'd say the closer you stay to the original tire diameter the safer you'll be. The variations in probable clearance you noted for the 2 alternative tire sizes don't seem to be a big deal to me (i.e., they're close enough to the original concept).

Another thing to point out is that shifting to a wheel width less than 8" should reduce the shift the 8" wheels would have caused in your scrub radius (which means your handling / steering characteristics should be closer to normal / stock).

Alternative wheel / tire fitment is a complicated 3D puzzle, and beyond a certain point there's no way to know precisely without trying it and seeing the results. It's not voodoo, but neither is it an exact science.

FWIW ... If it were me I'd keep the wheel width less than 8" on an everyday driver.

Old Today, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Good points all. Fortunately, I enjoy trying to work out the puzzle.

I might order a 15x7 to test fit.

When I see guys with setups like the one attached, where the tires are WAY taller than stock, I assume they're not having issues because the wheel offset and tire width is keeping the tires inboard of the flares? Or maybe they're just winging it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.jpg (86.4 KB, 2 views)
Old Today, 05:36 PM
Mambeau / Admin

I don't know. In the end, they're basically just winging it, because you can't tell until you mount 'em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in