post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
04 Tacoma wider fenders?

Hi,
I have an 04 Tacoma I'm planning on starting a build thread on.. just trying to work out some kinks first, so I can make some quick progress in the thread...I bought the motor from "Sangle" on here...

I have a 2004 2wd 4 cylinder are there other truck models like 4x4 or SR5 that come with wider front fenders?

I know on some of my earlier tacomas the bed was already wide and it was necessary to run 4x4 fenders up front to match the width in the rear...

I"m looking to run 255-40-17 with a 17x9.5 +18 RPF1 and the rim is sticking out a bit in front , but close to flush in the rear...
Cheers again and thanks for any feedback
build coming soon... Competition Clutch Twin Disk, Gato Performance intake with RMR throttle body, Paradise Racing spec-parts long block with Paradise Header and Precision turbo, ID injectors, Haltech ECU (Platinum Sport 1000) , ETS EVO fmic, 8" rear end with Supra lsd swap, hopefully relocated motor, custom driveline with R155 swap, definite weight reduction (I"ve been putting in some time) simplified wiring harness-- will definitely be learning how to do better..., Tilton Floor mount pedal box, relocated fuel cell- AN fittings throughout, and custom 5 link with bilstein motorsport coils, Evo 10 Brembos front and rear...(may change) my goal is no more than 2500 lbs. and 500 whp... I will be posting dyno graph...
... hoping to do stock fenders, though will do fiberglass if I have to... I just haven't found a near stock size fiberglass fender without a lot of rise and extra width for offroad size tires...I'm ok with going a bit wider (2" would be perfect) but I don't want a big tall fender gap over my little tires...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Re: 04 Tacoma wider fenders?

During the 2001 - 2004 era, the front fenders were all the same as far as dimensions are concerned.

The only difference was that some were pre-drilled with holes to attach OEM fender flares on some 6-lug (4X4; PreRunner) models with certain trim / package options.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

thanks,
can I confirm what years the 4x4 fenders were indeed wider?
I had them on my 1993
truck changed in 1996 (95.5)
if I could get them for a 1996 and do something like change the headlights...and things fit close enough with the grill... I could make that work...
just trying to figure out my options and find something that might work... where I could hit up some junkyard and try some stuff... would be nice to have some level of certainty before spending money...
I've been learning the hard way lately.... : )
cheers again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimountain View Post
thanks,
can I confirm what years the 4x4 fenders were indeed wider?
I had them on my 1993
truck changed in 1996 (95.5)
if I could get them for a 1996 and do something like change the headlights...and things fit close enough with the grill... I could make that work...
There's not really any way to figure out fender width / depth from the factory spec's.

The overall widths were uniform within any given year, but overall width could be measured anywhere (not specifically at the front fenders).

The only other measurement Toyota routinely published was the track (width). Track measurements varied a lot - 5-lug different from 6-lug; variations among models. However, track is measured between centerlines of the tires / wheels, and this doesn't directly indicate anything about the width / depth of the fenders.

If you try to transplant an earlier (1995.5 - 2000) Tacoma front onto yours, you'll end up doing an entire front clip swap. The earlier fenders (alone) won't visually line up cleanly with the rest of your 2001 - 2004 front body components.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Okay,
thanks again... I'll look up the visual differences between the two.. and see if a front clip swap might be in order...though I already purchased a fiberglass hood... Cheers again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode