Could someone please help me out with the catalytic converters? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Could someone please help me out with the catalytic converters?

Greetings CT,
After hearing many different exhaust systems on tacomas in videos and real life, I came to the conclusion that I like the tone I have and it cant get much deeper than it is but I still want a more agressive idle so Ive decided I want to gut my cats but I got a couple of questions. First off, the truck is an 02 double cab with the 3.4L and if my memory serves me correctly from looking under the truck, there are a total of 3 cats. After doing my research on here, I know that the check engine light is going to come on and Im going to order this sim from URD for 59 bucks: http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100014
The sim looks like it will be a piece of cake to install but my question is, I want to get the truck louder but not to the point where it will catch the attention of the police as Im going by or sound like Im doing 70 mph when Im only going 20-30. Should I gut just the cat closest to the muffler, both that one and the next in line (still visible under the truck), or take out all three of them? Im leaning towards just the two under the truck...and also, if I gut just the two under the truck and buy the sim in the link above, i should be good to go with no check engine light right? Thanks in advance everyone. And also, if anyone has a vid of a flowmaster on a 3.4L with gutted cats, please post the link up. Theres a really nice vid of it on an x-runner floating around here somewhere and its sounds awesome and even though its not the 4.0L, I think the 3.4 would sound just as good

Last edited by tacomadoublecab; 07-22-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Addict

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Re: Could someone please help me out with the catalytic converters?

Do a search on some of my posts, I've done a lot of writing about this subject. I've done one, two and no cats. keeping just one unmodified will be best in terms of performance (torque vs. top end) sound, and no CEL.

TRD supercharger, headers, & exhaust. Single cat. URD fuel upgrade kit, AFR calibrator, 2.2 pulley & short shifter. Ivan Stewart rims. K&N/Amsoil intake. Big brake/Tundra upgrade. Addco front sway bar. Downey shackles.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post
Do a search on some of my posts, I've done a lot of writing about this subject. I've done one, two and no cats. keeping just one unmodified will be best in terms of performance (torque vs. top end) sound, and no CEL.
Thanks for the reply oatmeal769. I searched through all of your posts containing exhaust info and definitely see that gutting 2 and leaving 1 is the way to go. I saw the post where you said you gutted all three and it sounded ricey and that sound isnt meant to come from a truck. So all of the people who get the cel's gut all 3 including the one you can see under the hood? I saw where you had been running your set up like that for quite a while and Im glad it wont throw a cel because I can use that money somewhere else. And what is up with the smell? Never a Toyota but Ive listened to many Fords/chevys and other domestics with gutted cars and cant remember a distinct smell from the exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomadoublecab View Post
Thanks for the reply oatmeal769. I searched through all of your posts containing exhaust info and definitely see that gutting 2 and leaving 1 is the way to go. I saw the post where you said you gutted all three and it sounded ricey and that sound isnt meant to come from a truck. So all of the people who get the cel's gut all 3 including the one you can see under the hood? I saw where you had been running your set up like that for quite a while and Im glad it wont throw a cel because I can use that money somewhere else. And what is up with the smell? Never a Toyota but Ive listened to many Fords/chevys and other domestics with gutted cars and cant remember a distinct smell from the exhaust

i'm curious do you really have 3 cats?>> good god, could you take a pic of this hidden cat?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Addict

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply oatmeal769. I searched through all of your posts containing exhaust info and definitely see that gutting 2 and leaving 1 is the way to go. I saw the post where you said you gutted all three and it sounded ricey and that sound isnt meant to come from a truck. So all of the people who get the cel's gut all 3 including the one you can see under the hood?
I don't know about ALL the people, but I haven't had any problems. There are others with just one who don't have trouble either. I was however unaware of a 3RD cat... I know I don't have one, do you have a pic? Are you sure?
Quote:
And what is up with the smell?
I've definitely noticed the smell is more 'noxious' without the cats, kinda like an old gas guzzler.
If you do decide to get rid of one or more, don't 'gut' them. If you go to the trouble of removing them, just make a pipe and bolt it in. Those things are way expensive if you change your mind.

TRD supercharger, headers, & exhaust. Single cat. URD fuel upgrade kit, AFR calibrator, 2.2 pulley & short shifter. Ivan Stewart rims. K&N/Amsoil intake. Big brake/Tundra upgrade. Addco front sway bar. Downey shackles.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin444 View Post
i'm curious do you really have 3 cats?>> good god, could you take a pic of this hidden cat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal769 View Post
I don't know about ALL the people, but I haven't had any problems. There are others with just one who don't have trouble either. I was however unaware of a 3RD cat... I know I don't have one, do you have a pic? Are you sure? I've definitely noticed the smell is more 'noxious' without the cats, kinda like an old gas guzzler.
If you do decide to get rid of one or more, don't 'gut' them. If you go to the trouble of removing them, just make a pipe and bolt it in. Those things are way expensive if you change your mind.
Sorry I havent been here to keep up with the thread...Its now dark outside but first thing in the morning, I will get under the truck/look under the hood again, yall have way more knowledge than I do so i'll bet its just two but like i said ill check it out first thing in the morning. As for gutting, I looked around and noticed that the price for replacing them is a little over my budget so im looking for a used donor set to gut. I live in texas so its nothing like cali or anything but when inspection times rolls around, I need the look of having one to pass the visual inspection. If I cant find any donors, I'll prolly just replace it with pipe and when inspection time come, change it out then change it back. Thanks for the info and I will check the truck when I get up in the morning
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Grand Tacoholic

do not gut them1!!!!!! go to an exhaust shop, and have them cut off, take them homewith u, and let them weld a piece of pipe in to their place.

keep them for future use!

or have a shop to fab u a n ew cross over pipe that bolt s in
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the replies everyone, after getting the shock on how much these things cost, I'll definitely be holding on to them. And sorry for the late response and I just got back from running a couple of errands and for some reason, I was thinking it was 3 but the one explained under the hood is one of the 2 actually underneath the truck (for some reason my memory told me there was another one.) So out of what I researched from oatmeal769 and other previous posts, my best bet is to take out just the rear one and leave the front one as is? Is there a big sound difference in taking out just that one and both or what?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Mine got really loud after removing the second, and the CEL was instant.

Vrrm pssht!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:55 AM
crazymofo

I would leave one in- I have (or had) a single cat on my 99 and I gutted it right before i installed my supercharger. In my opinion, the truck sounded much better with the cat untouched. The sound now is much louder and more annoying. I used the URD O2 sim and it worked great. Also, the performance was unaffected by the gutting and the smell really sucks. Just my opinion though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode