Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Turbo Size

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  blackedout_taco_stidham 
#1 ·
I've had my current turbo on my truck for several years, and the turbo lag is getting old. I bought it from a user on here back in 2011, and it's done ok for me, but I'm ready to have a better power delivery.

What size turbo is everyone running, and what are your horsepower goals, or what are you currently making with what turbo?

How small is too small? Has anyone run a .48 AR housing? The 2RZ is a relatively large 4cyl engine...so does it need a larger AR? (my current exhaust housing is a .63 AR)

I'd just like to be in boost sooner, just like anyone else. This is not a daily driver anymore (hell it's not even street legal because of no registration or insurance) so I don't care about streetability or what have you. It's an autocross truck, that I'd like to get on a road course one day. My horsepower goal is somewhere in the 400 range, nothing insane. The engine is built to hold so much more, but I don't desire any more than that right now.

#2 ·
You could always get a TRD Supercharger! Talk about instant power...

400 would be ridiculously hard to hit though. I need to get mine dynoed again but I'm only around 300 RWHP on a really, really good day.

#4 ·
A supercharger is out of the question. They just don't make as much power as a turbo setup. Unless you go centrifugal, but that's a whole nother can of worms. Besides, it's already turbo'd, why would I go backwards? lol

#5 · (Edited)
I think the most common that I've seen, on Tacoma's anyway, is a .57 AR(.58??). I was just curious if the next size smaller housing would be ok enough to run. Right now .63 is kind of crappy because you don't hit peak boost until about 3k rpm, and the rev limiter is ~5600rpm...so not a lot of useable range. If I can figure out a way to safely raise the stock rev limiter then it wouldn't be as much of a deal. My engine can handle up to ~7k rpm, but I'd just need a standalone to do it. Trying to see how far I can take the AEM FIC6, which should be plenty of computer to get me to my modest goal.

#7 ·
Do you have an external wastegate controlled with a four port electronic boost controller? That setup can make boost at lower rpm. External wastegates have two ports and the four port boost controller can pressurize the top port so every bit of exhaust is pushed through the turbo until the boost target is reached then it will depressurize the top port and start pressuring the bottom port so the wastegate can open very fast. It's the ideal setup if you want boost at lower rpm. There are also some internal wastegate actuators with two ports that can do the same thing. You may not need to change the turbo to get lower rpm boost if you optimize your wastegate setup.

#8 ·
I take it autocross isn't your ultimate goal if you're pushing for 400 hp, which would not be ideal when autocrossing a light truck. If you want better response, try out a more modern turbo. Borg Warner's EFR series comes to mind. Another thing you might try is a quick spool valve (if you've got the room for it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.