• 1 Post By Mad Maxx
  • 1 Post By Mad Maxx

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nitrous

Hey everyone I have a quick question. I want more power out of my 02 2rz. I dont have the $ to boost it right now so has anyone had any luck putting a small shot of nitrous in their truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Nitrous

Yes, it has been done. Nitrous is a sort of "chemical supercharging" that provides extra oxygen from combustion. However, just know there's potential consequences of injecting nitrous into the engine with no fuel management. You will most definitely want to use a wet shot, avoid dry shots since that will almost certainly ruin the engine.

However, if you really want to rocket around town you are going to go through a lot of nitrous. I heard from my tuner there's been a shortage of nitrous last year, so prices might have changed. However, a standard 10 lb bottle will cost $50+ to refill.

S/C'd at 11 PSI, AEM F/IC 6, methanol injection and a whole bunch more.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:44 AM
Addict

Quoted: 69 Post(s)

Like Gamefreakgc said you need to use a wet shot so that you are adding fuel with the nitrous and you will have 2 jets one for nitrous and the other for fuel. Cold Fusion has a nitrous jet calculator on their site that lets you figure out what size of jets to use and it will tell you how much horsepower they will produce and the estimated wheel horsepower. In the calculator you will need to enter your fuel pressure and nitrous bottle pressure (1000 psi recommended) and enter the size of nitrous jet and then it will calculate and let you know what size of fuel jet that you should use. Here is a link to their calculator. http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm Also like Gamefreakgc said nitrous isn't very cheap and the last time I bought some here in Montana several years ago it was $10 a lb and has probably gone up since then. As a rough estimate you will use 8 tenths of a lb of nitrous for every 100 hp produced in a 10 second run, so a 30 second run at 100 hp will use 2.4 lbs of nitrous.

Mad Maxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxx View Post
Like Gamefreakgc said you need to use a wet shot so that you are adding fuel with the nitrous and you will have 2 jets one for nitrous and the other for fuel. Cold Fusion has a nitrous jet calculator on their site that lets you figure out what size of jets to use and it will tell you how much horsepower they will produce and the estimated wheel horsepower. In the calculator you will need to enter your fuel pressure and nitrous bottle pressure (1000 psi recommended) and enter the size of nitrous jet and then it will calculate and let you know what size of fuel jet that you should use. Here is a link to their calculator. http://www.robietherobot.com/nitrousjetcalculator.htm Also like Gamefreakgc said nitrous isn't very cheap and the last time I bought some here in Montana several years ago it was $10 a lb and has probably gone up since then. As a rough estimate you will use 8 tenths of a lb of nitrous for every 100 hp produced in a 10 second run, so a 30 second run at 100 hp will use 2.4 lbs of nitrous.

Mad Maxx
I think I remember that you ran nitrous on the TRD blower? Did you like how that ran or was it hard to control or too much power? Also can't remember if you did that on the stock internals or not.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:44 PM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc View Post
I think I remember that you ran nitrous on the TRD blower? Did you like how that ran or was it hard to control or too much power? Also can't remember if you did that on the stock internals or not.
I have a 2 stage nitrous system on my 2001 Tacoma with the 3.4L 5VZ engine and it ran good and I had a
70 hp shot on the first stage and a 90 hp shot on the second stage with stock internals. Currently when I save up the money I'm going to build a 5VZ with a forged crankshaft and chromolly rods and forged aluminum pistons and I already have those parts and waiting to have the heads worked on before I go any further with it. Once I have it built like I want I plan on running a 204 hp shot of nitrous on both stages set at .5 second apart and that is for the 1/4 mile drag strip only. Yes it has the TRD supercharger on it.

Mad Maxx
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxx View Post
I have a 2 stage nitrous system on my 2001 Tacoma with the 3.4L 5VZ engine and it ran good and I had a
70 hp shot on the first stage and a 90 hp shot on the second stage with stock internals. Currently when I save up the money I'm going to build a 5VZ with a forged crankshaft and chromolly rods and forged aluminum pistons and I already have those parts and waiting to have the heads worked on before I go any further with it. Once I have it built like I want I plan on running a 204 hp shot of nitrous on both stages set at .5 second apart and that is for the 1/4 mile drag strip only. Yes it has the TRD supercharger on it.

Mad Maxx
Ok, now you got me curious!

How do you activate the first stage? That's be about what I would be looking at if I ever did it, a 70 wet shot. Do you simply use a throttle switch or is it more fancy using RPM? I am not to excited about it going off before the knock sensors kick in at 3000 RPM.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Addict

Quote:
Ok, now you got me curious!

How do you activate the first stage? That's be about what I would be looking at if I ever did it, a 70 wet shot. Do you simply use a throttle switch or is it more fancy using RPM? I am not to excited about it going off before the knock sensors kick in at 3000 RPM.
The first stage is activated with a micro switch that the throttle linkage activates at full throttle and then I have a time delay that I can set to where I want for the second stage to activate and the tabs are in tenths of a second to set it. I also have a lean shutdown control that is wired to an O2 sensor and will shut down the nitrous if it runs too lean in case you have a fuel solenoid go bad that would cause you to run lean instantly and the lean shut down will shut off the nitrous to keep from destroying your engine.

Mad Maxx
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Addict

Here are a few pictures showing my nitrous system where you can see the micro switch bracket and the nitrous and fuel solenoids and the time delay control and the lean shutoff control and other switches.
Mad Maxx

01 Tacoma 3 Engine Components.jpg

01 Tacoma 4 Micro Switch Bracket.jpg

01 Tacoma 9 Components.jpg

01 Tacoma 11 Switches.jpg
Gamefreakgc likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:05 PM

Thanks, those photos are super helpful! That's the first nitro setup I've seen on a 5VZ-FE.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Addict

Quote:
Thanks, those photos are super helpful! That's the first nitro setup I've seen on a 5VZ-FE.
Your'e welcome and I put larger nitrous and fuel solenoids on since those pictures were taken and I've attached some pictures of them and the nitrous bottle and bracket. If you have any questions about nitrous just ask and 2 websites that I use are primarily: Cold Fusion Nitrous https://www.coldfusionnitrous.com/ and if they don't have what I'm looking for then I go to Dyno Tune Nitrous http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...ts/default.asp

Mad Maxx

Nitrous Solenoids and Bracket - 1.jpg

Nitrous Bracket.jpg

Nitrous Bracket & Bottle.jpg

Nitrous Bracket & Bottle - 2.jpg
Gamefreakgc likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode