98 3rz with 95.5-97 3rz HELP!! - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
98 3rz with 95.5-97 3rz HELP!!

Hey guys and gals, new to the Tacoma world.
My dilemma is I picked up a 98 Tacoma 2.7 3rz manual 5 speed. Engine got swapped out by previous owner and come to find out they used the early 3rz with a distributor. But kept the 98 harness. I got camshaft sensor codes because this one doesn’t have the camshaft sensor in the cylinder head, instead they spliced the old harness and ran 2 wires from the distributor plug to the cam sensor plug.
The truck idles and starts fine, but seems to jerk when under load or going up hills.
My question is I know the old distributor style got a camshaft signal from the distributor. Is there a way to wire or send the correct signal from the distributor to the 98 ecu to see the camshaft signal it wants so it doesn’t throw codes??? It gives me code p0340 cam position A sensor circuit fault.
Appreciate any and all info guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:14 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Re: 98 3rz with 95.5-97 3rz HELP!!

First ... Anyone (else) wanting some more background on the distributor / coil pack differences relating to cam sensing should refer to this earlier thread (in which you also posted):

Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one?

https://www.customtacos.com/forum/13...-come-one.html

The bottom line is that the earlier distributor-based signal can be used as the input for controlling the later electronic ignition.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Here (attached) is the 1996 (distributor-based) engine control wiring diagram. Note that the distributor signal generator feeds to terminals G and G- on the ECM.

(NOTE: The cross-circuit connection between the cam signal lines and the crank sensor line doesn't apply to a 3RZ with a manual tranny.)

Also note that the inputs to the NE and NE- terminals (1996 / dizzy version) come from the crankshaft position sensor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf enginecontrol-4Cyl.pdf (159.5 KB, 3 views)

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Now here's the 1998 version of the 3RZ engine control wiring (attached).

The (new / separate) camshaft position sensor feeds a signal to the same (named) terminals (G and G-) using the same color wires as in the 1996 version.

These same-named terminals are NOT in the same place (on a 3RZ manual) as they were for a 1996 model. (See Note "*4" on page 76.) The camshaft position signal lines are the same colors (as for 1996), but they connect to the ECM via a different connector.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EngineControl-3RZ.pdf (139.3 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode