GM Knock sensor mod - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GM Knock sensor mod

04 5VZ. TRD S/C 7th injector. No lights, new MAF, upstream AFR sensor, good fuel pump, new plugs/wires, cats are good.

I’m having an issue when I go WOT. It seems to get to a point when it bogs and looses power. Also wants to ping pretty good in the 4000RPM range for a second, and AFRs always hit low 11s even with having the fuel map 1.1ms across the board. I’m thinking this is a knock sensor issue even though I I’m not throwing codes.

I’m going to attempt the GM knock sensor mod but I want to be 110% certain I know I have everything I need and not run into any issues while I do it.

Step 1. Drain some or all coolant from block.

Step 2. Remove S/C and lower manifold.

Step 3. With the new Toyota Knock sensor wiring harness, GM 800 harness, and knock sensors splice the GM to the Toyota and replace the old one.

Step 4. Plug the sensors in an button it all up.

Am I missing anything?

Has anyone else had the same issue with no CELs and resolved it with the GM knock sensors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Re: GM Knock sensor mod

I had power loss and no CEL due to the stock knock sensor picking up phantom knock. The GM knock sensor fixed it.

'02 4x4 3rz-fe. he351cw Turbo. Treadstone manifold. Megasquirt. 550 primaries 500 secondaries. Vortech inline fuel pump. Intercooler. Flex fuel. R150F trans swap. ACT T020 & DTX-137L disk. 413whp 479wtq 23psi on E85. Kazuma LSD. LCE 10:1 pistons & rods.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Re: GM Knock sensor mod

If the sensors detect knock, they don't throw a code they just pull timing. The only time they throw a code is if the ECU cannot communicate with the sensors or they communicate a voltage out of range. You could most definitely be experiencing the phantom knock I've heard about.

If you have a bluetooth code reader and the Torque Pro app ($5 and $30 off Amazon) you can view you total timing advance on the readout. It's very helpful for diagnosing these sorts of things without having to spend all the time and money changing knock sensors only to find it wasn't the problem (though it probably is).

I think the last time I logged my timing it was at 15 degrees total timing advance at WOT. But that was my old engine with compression & other issues.

S/C'd at 11 PSI, AEM F/IC 6, methanol injection and a whole bunch more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode