Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one?

So, I'm trying to add a cam position sensor to my 1996 3rz that did not come with one stock. Apparently trucks with distributors had no factory installed cam position sensor in the head. The 'base/mount' for the sensor is still there, just not drilled out..

Today I called a machine shop that was capable. I also ordered a cam sensor from a 98 3rz. But before i get down to it...
Anybody done this before? Any idea on specs;How close the cam sensor needs to be to the cam lobe? Does it require drilling all the way through? Anything i should know in general?

BTW-The reason im doin this to get my sequential firing going with my AEM Pencil coils. Other wise, with no cam sensor, i would have to batch fire which is not what im looking for.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Re: Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one

I'm confused ...

You DO have a camshaft position sensor - it's built into the distributor.

Are you saying the signal from the stock camshaft position sensor doesn't work for your AEM application?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)
Re: Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one

There is no camshaft position sensor in the distributor to my understanding.but theres one on the side of the head if you have a 97 or up tacoma when they switched to coil packs.
See pics,lets see if they work lol

Attached Images
File Type: jpg camsensor.jpg (41.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1203111228.jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg cylinderhead-1.jpg (20.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 04-09-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
I'm confused ...

You DO have a camshaft position sensor - it's built into the distributor.

Are you saying the signal from the stock camshaft position sensor doesn't work for your AEM application?

If you think that I can utilize my existing camshaft sensor, that is supposedly integrated in my distributor, then yeah ill use it! I was just going to take off the distributor, 'plug' it off, and drill in a new cam sensor.

I wonder how i would just use the camshaft position sensor that is integrated into the distributor tho? is this possible?? can i remove the distributor and put the camshaft position sensor in its place?

Thanks for the input
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Mambeau / Admin

I'm still trying to figure out what's what ...

Here (attached) is the 1995.5 / 1996 diagnostic section for code P0340 (camshaft position sensor circuit). This explains how the camshaft position signal is generated.

The camshaft position widget is most often referred to as the 'signal generator' within the distributor.

This is a totally separate widget from the crankshaft position sensor.

It also provides a sketch of the overall wiring arrangement.

The camshaft signal is also referred to as the G signal, because it's connected to the ECM at the G terminals.

The NE terminals and the NE signal are for crankshaft position.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P0340-CamshftPosSensor.pdf (101.1 KB, 15 views)

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Here (attached) is a 1995.5 / 1996 distributor components diagram. The signal generator / pickup coil is the gadget that generates the camshaft position signal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DistroParts-955.jpg (27.9 KB, 78 views)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

So according to the diagrams on that PDF. Terminals 3 & 4 are for the Camshaft position sensor... SO i could just elimnate the distributor cap and just keep the "dust cover" on that houses the signal plate and pickup coil. Very nice. very nice indeed.

You are right tho Enola, & i think i could piggyback off terminals 3 & 4 from the distributor connector to get my camshaft position sensor. SHWEET!

Do you see any problems arising/anything else i need from using this in conjunction with my AEM CDI pencil coils an AEM 4-channel coil driver?

Thanks for droppin the knowledge
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Mambeau / Admin

I don't know whether or how this might work ...

Clues, please ...

I have no idea what kind of cam position signal the AEM equipment is expecting. Did they give you any instructions or spec's on cam position signal? Did they recommend installing a separate sensor?

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoCX View Post
So according to the diagrams on that PDF. Terminals 3 & 4 are for the Camshaft position sensor...
The wire color should be yellow coming off terminal 4, and light blue coming off terminal 3.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
I don't know whether or how this might work ...

Clues, please ...

I have no idea what kind of cam position signal the AEM equipment is expecting. Did they give you any instructions or spec's on cam position signal? Did they recommend installing a separate sensor?
ill be using the AEM ignition setup (pencil coils and driver) with my Haltech sprint 500.

Im basically doing a coil conversion from the stock dizzy setup. I am trying to make sure i have everything i need. The AEM instructions do not require a spec sensors. I thought i had to install an extra sensor because i didnt think i had a camshaft position sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode