Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one? - Page 2 - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoCX View Post
ill be using the AEM ignition setup (pencil coils and driver) with my Haltech sprint 500.

Im basically doing a coil conversion from the stock dizzy setup. I am trying to make sure i have everything i need. The AEM instructions do not require a spec sensors. I thought i had to install an extra sensor because i didnt think i had a camshaft position sensor.
You wont need a cam sensor unless your running sequential injection, but the dist signal will work as your cam sensor if you decide to do so. Otherwise you can just use a crank sensor and fire as batched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Input on installing a cam position sensor on a 1996 3RZ that didn't come with one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
You wont need a cam sensor unless your running sequential injection, but the dist signal will work as your cam sensor if you decide to do so. Otherwise you can just use a crank sensor and fire as batched.
cool, good to know. I want to use the dizzys cam sensor to run sequential injection. i do not want batch fire. Looking like i got what i need and dont need to add/uprgrade any sensors. Im stoked, less $$$..

Should be posting some pics and dyno stuff here inna couple weeks.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

hmmm.. im thinkng these spendy digital sensors would provide a better signal for a better tune. http://www.paradiseracing.com/Store/...emart&Itemid=1

Anybody have any experience installing these digital sensors from paradise racing? how would this setup work with my scenario since i have my "cam sensor" in my existing distributor. would this replace that sensor/distributor? Unfortunately, i dont have my cam sensor factory mounted on the side of the head
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

(Thread Starter)

nobody here has experience upgrading their cam and crank sensors to digital Hall sensors (3wire) when going Haltech? Just looking for a better tune. any advice is appreciated
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM
ADMlNAHATER

Quoted: 85 Post(s)

Time to go aftermarket with a crank trigger wheel kit..

Eagan Minnesota

For Sale: Drop spindles, coilovers, Wilwood big brake kit
https://www.customtacos.com/forum/44-...-lug-mini.html
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaVoCX View Post
nobody here has experience upgrading their cam and crank sensors to digital Hall sensors (3wire) when going Haltech? Just looking for a better tune. any advice is appreciated
No reason to do that, I have set them up batched and sequential, really made no noticeable difference unless you want to change your injector firing event timing.

The stock sensors do just fine, just a simple trigger, thats all. Your wasting money IMO.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I’m in a similar boat. I have a 98 Tacoma that had a bad engine, so replacement engine was swapped in. But it’s a distributor engine and my original was the 2 coil 3rz. How would I wire my old cam sensor wires to read the cam signal from the distributor?? It will run but has CEL on for cam sensor fault and makes it jerk up hill and under load.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode