User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Four Fuel pumps Four years

My lifted 99 Prerunner gets bad gas mileage . It always has . I chalk it up to bigger tires . 6 inch lift and a rear end thats a special bo7a slightly lower gear from factory. Mechanic told me that the pump works extra hard thats why they die . Some of the problem is that 1 or 2 where defective. Anyway symptoms are no hot start . some stutter and sluggishness . Each time this happened it was the pump. Question is what would a slight upgrade on a pump be . A larger pump could handle my 12 mph . Stupid question is does the system act like my Ford where the gas circulates and excess goes back into the tank . I just changed my very dirty 100,000 mile filter. All suggestions welcome thanks Lloyd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Re: Four Fuel pumps Four years

I'm having a hard time understanding what it is about your truck (bigger weight; lift) that's making the fuel pump work harder.

Did the mechanic explain how that happens?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

It has always got bad gas , he never said why no check light. 256.000 miles by myself. All I can think of is KnN cold air. A regular pump way not be able to handle 12 bucks of gas a day. What do you think???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 10:17 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Besides the K&N cold air intake, do you have any other engine or performance mods?

If so - what are they?

What are the details on the larger tires and the modified rear end gearing? Unless you've done some re-calibration to adjust for the different tire diameter and / or gearing the ECM is trying to adjust the fuel / air mixture for the wrong speed. This alone may explain the miserable gas mileage.

I can't help but wonder whether fuel pressure problems have something to do with it. Have you definitely ruled out a fuel leak somewhere? I'm still hung up on wondering WTF would wear out fuel pumps, and an over-pressurized fuel flow might explain it by increasing the load on the pump.

If one or both these angles is what's happening, I'm even more baffled as to why the ECM isn't throwing one or more codes.

I suppose there's a combination of problems that would leave the ECM "blind" to the actual situation while over-driving the pump and fool the ECM into never throwing codes, but that seems like too much of a wild coincidence.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Do you think a Walbro 225 will fit ? Just for the record I have my exhaust cut off at the axle . Still have a cat . Magnaflow muffler. I think the cold air has something to do with it . I dont go to far , an you never know when your truck will be taken out driving in Fla. So Im used to it . Let me ask ls the hot start issue part of a bad pump. You never know if you were lied to.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Mambeau / Admin

If there's something wrong with the fuel feed from the tank to the engine it might help explain the hot start problem.

You mentioned "bad gas"...

Have the fuel lines been checked for kinks, crud or obstructions? That might explain most everything you listed.

Has the fuel pump wiring / circuit been checked? If occurred to me that if the lift (or age or whatever ... ) had screwed with the wiring the pump problems might be connected with voltage or resistance weirdness.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Mambeau / Admin

I'm not sure the cold air intake is the root problem, but it may be throwing something off and helping to camouflage where the root problem lies.

Do you still have your stock air intake stuff? If so, it might be informative to swap the OEM intake onto the engine to see what (if any) difference it makes.

One thing that occurred to me is that the ECM is struggling to provide a lot of fuel to match a lot of air it's detecting.

... Which also means your air / fuel sensor stuff may be involved.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

I thank you for your help . I just ordered a Walbro 225 fuel pump . Installation will be done by myself . I will be blowing all the lines out with compressed air. Will be doing other things you suggested . It has always been regular pumps. Probably Advanced Auto house brand . I will report back on how it went. One of the reviewers suggested more power , and smoother acceleration. Im considering mass air replacement . Would I need that with no engine light on . Dont know how to test . Over my head Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Mambeau / Admin

I don't know about the MAF replacement ... I guess it can't hurt, but ...

So far you haven't demonstrated the air intake / flow is part of the problem. I mentioned it because it's the only engine mod you've got and something screwy with your air / fuel management might explain the miserable gas mileage and overworking the fuel pump.

If the air intake were part of the problem one would think there'd be codes getting thrown. If the ECM is blind to air / fuel problems, that suggests there's a sensor or ECM problem somewhere.

The only thing we know for sure is that you seem to be going through a lot of fuel pumps.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Fuel pump is on Walbro 225. I could not get one of the bands on. Going to try again. Helps when your lifted. Here is the bad news now my gas guage does not work . Enola hoe sensitive is the vain that goes in the tank . Maybe when I drive to work tomorrow it will loosen up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode