Got Steering Sticking/Binding? One fix here.. - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Got Steering Sticking/Binding? One fix here..

Lately my steering started to stick and bind on me.
To give you an idea how bad it was binding on me... it got to a point where I expected to HAVE to use two hands when turning a corner. I couldn't "palm" the steering wheel anymore. Merging and changing lanes wasn't bad, but going around corners and anything that required me to "crank" the wheel was very difficult. To the point where I thought it was getting pretty dangerous to have to drive this in town... It was pretty bad...

I just rebuilt the steering rack not too long ago, so I couldn't see how that could be it. It wouldn't always bind consistently with the wheels turned in any particular direction (which it probably would if it was the rack), but the steering wheel would get "sticky" or bind up a little at several common points in relation to the steering wheel. Usually the power steering would overcome any "minor" binding issues in the steering linkage or wheels. UNLESS the culprit occurred prior to input into the steering gear. And I also had a creak or two coming from the sterring wheel, so I decided to take it apart and look into the culprit a bit.

As I suspected, one of the joints in the steering shaft (column) was binding on me. Wouldn't turn smoothly very consistently. Sometimes would bind, sometimes wouldn't.

The joint in question is the one at the firewall behind the column cover. Turns out when the outside dust seal goes, that dirt will get into the joint and gunk it all up. Very bottom left is the two pieces of the column hole cover. The left-most one is the one with the dust seal, and you can see how much dirt got inside...

Here's the joint I'm referring to... Already removed from the truck.

Put it in a vice and Just remove the four bolts and it comes right apart.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-A.jpg (59.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2-A.jpg (51.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 3-A.jpg (38.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 4-A.jpg (40.6 KB, 13 views)

~COMAttack~

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 11-01-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)
Got Steering Sticking/Binding? One fix here..

Here you can see it's pretty gunked up. I know it's hard to tell but that brown stuff it supposed to be grease. However, this stuff had the consistency of corn syrup. I couldn't believe how sticky it was!!! I could see why the steering was literally "sticking" on me!!

The U-joints themselves were actually really good. This is not a heavily loaded joint, so after 230K they were still fine. But the plastic piece is what was causing the problem.

I hosed everything down with carb cleaner and cleaned off every last bit of gunk. Couldn't believe how it began to shine. It looked just like new!!

Can you see the difference now?!?!?

Put just a tad of light grease on the plastic piece and the surface of inside of the two joints (not on the U-joint) and then reassembled it.

A little blurry, but here you see the new blue grease applied.

While I had the steering column out, I completely disassembled it, cleaned it and applied new grease as well. No need for pics. It's in the FSM and pretty easy to do... Turned out It actually didn't need it though. It moved just as smoothly afterward as it did before I cleaned it, so it turned out my WHOLE problem was just the one joint.

Put everything back together, and took it for a drive and it drives OH SOOOO GOOD now!! Smooth as butter. Better than it ever did since I've had it.

If your steering is starting to stick, or feels like it's binding on you; look up underneath the truck where the steering shaft enters the cab. If that just dust boot is cracked or torn, you could have dirt getting up into that joint and gunking everything up. You may find it just needs to be cleaned.

And yes, I replaced the little dust seal (was $13 at the dealer... probably cheaper if you order it online).

(Project for tomorrow... building my own version of the Demello "Rock crushers"... YAY!!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-A.jpg (47.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 6-A.jpg (44.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 7-A.jpg (45.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 8-A.jpg (43.4 KB, 10 views)

~COMAttack~

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 11-01-2009 at 07:16 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 AM
Addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Got Steering Sticking/Binding? One fix here..

awesome! nice to find that and get it done on the cheap!

Supercharged Cammed Header 3rz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

wow! super nice writeup and glad you took the time to take pictures. I'm assuming this is more of a problem on a truck that sees dirt more than a street truck right? Good find!

Checkout Streetacos on Facebook!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefed Taco View Post
I'm assuming this is more of a problem on a truck that sees dirt more than a street truck right? Good find!
Yup. Probably.

~COMAttack~
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

Great writeup!

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 AM

Mate, Thankyou so much for this writeup

I'm from Australia and made an account just to thank you

Had the exact same symptoms on my ute and was starting to lose it
Just didn't make sense to me at all, I had so many theories, that my alternator was on it's way out, that my new sump guard or Bullbar had something to do with it, but this post has helped so much,
I don't consider myself a mechanic or even an amateur mechanic, I'm only a young bloke so it was probably a rookie error not to check the steering column, but now I've cleaned it up and runs so smoothly, so good not having to prepare myself and have both hands on the steering just to turn a corner, put my mind at ease.

Cheers bro
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 01:39 PM

Thumbs up Re: Got Steering Sticking/Binding? One fix here..

hi,

thanks for taking the time explain the details, sounds like that's my issue with my 06 Tacoma.
I will start this fix very soon.

thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in