Permatex Windshield repair kit - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Permatex Windshield repair kit

I used one of the Permatex windshield repair kits to fix a small ding in my windshield. It was pretty straight forward to do, and I watched the video they have on YouTube to see how it worked before I bought the kit.

You can still see a tiny bit of the crack, but it went from a regular chip spot about 3/8" wide to a small dot about 1/16" wide. I hope this will keep the chip from starting a crack and having to replace the windshield. I have a bit of the epoxy left, so I will see if I can use a drop of it to seal off the last bit.

I will have to get another kit to carry in the truck for the next time I get a ding in the windscreen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM
Waxed to Perfection

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Permatex Windshield repair kit

Truth is, if... you managed to fill 70% of it with the DIY kit. You got lucky. Resin manufacturers use to put: "Use By Dates" on all resins sold to Glass Repair Shops like mine. The resin shelf life is between 45-60 days. They use to: toss the old resin. Until, some marketing genius came along and said " hey, the public doesn't know its out dated". And thus the DIY kits arose.

Will it hold? I hope so. But, chances are if you can still see a small crack. It's gonna be doubtful. However, the average cost of a windshield repair thru most shops is $60 or less (seen some for $25). Depends on your location etc. By having a professional repair it. You are almost 100% guaranteed to pass State Inspection, if its an issue. And, you are almost 100% guaranteed that after they repair it, it WON"T spread. If you use a reputable shop, not a flea market find. Another thing to watch out for is companies using the old "sign the waiver" (in case it cracks out or if you are not satisfied with the repair. It is basically a bait and switch method where the supposedly put the cost of the repair towards a new windshield installed by them.. No bargain here, as the new windshield is usually marked up to full retail price $500+.. Buyer beware.

I'm not saying all DIY kits are bad. But, that being said. The windshield repair kits will work on most bullseyes but lack the injection method, the drill, and the correct pressure to flow resin to the end of those star legs, and fill the tips of small cracks. Plus..

If you have full coverage Insurance, most Companies will waive your deductible and you get the repair for FREE!!

http://www.windshieldreferral.com/page/us_map

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..

Last edited by glassdoc; 10-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Damn, ^ this guy might know what he's talking about.

-gmc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Waxed to Perfection

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garetcurry View Post
Damn, ^ this guy might know what he's talking about.
Thanks, I have nothing to gain by providing bad info. He is in WA, I on the East Coast in PA.. But, what I tell people that call me and ask about the DIY kits here is: "The parts stores also sell bondo and paint (that supposedly is OEM colors to match). Would you attempt to do your own body work, if you never did it before? And, then I add. Unlike body work, that can be re-sanded, re-prepped, and re-painted to cover up your DIY mistakes. You only get one shot at repairing the windshield. Once that resin gets into the break area, there is NO getting it back out to re-do it. So, its either repaired 100% correctly, or.. Its not, and doomed to fail. No middle ground, no it should hold, no I think... Its either repaired or it isn't. Average cost of a windshield is $265 right now, pricing will go up next month due to winter. NAGS, the Nat'l Auto Glass Standards adjusts pricing according to demands. And, the winter will demand more windshields than summer.. Anyways, I wish the poster good luck with his attempt. Hopefully, it will last.

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

For $10, I can't complain. Don't see any "expiration date" on the packaging, and the epoxy (single part) is in a sealed tub.

The next time I use one, I will cut and "extra notch" in the syringe to put more pressure on the epoxy to get it to flow farther in.

Time will tell whether it works or not, but if it saves my windshield, I can't complain. The ding was off to the side (LH) of the windshield, so it wasn't in my line of sight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode