Toyota Tacoma Forum banner

Tundra brake caliper upgrade write-up. S13WE

102K views 90 replies 40 participants last post by  1991Supercharged 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, it was definately hard to find information about Tacoma 4Runner/Tundra brake swaps so I hope this will help everyone out. I'm hoping to get as much information into one place as possible. As far as I know this information is correct, but if not please let me know with a PM. Some of the terms I used might not be correct, but bare with me. If theres anything else to ad please do! To my knowledge, this is the first Tundra to Tacoma caliper uprade. Thanks the 4 Runner gurus at Yotatech and to George4drV6 for his insights.

The Truck
(heavy weighted modifications):
-2004 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4.
-Supercharged w/7th injector.
-Rear Demello hybrid bumper, “heavy duty” sliders.
-Front ARB bumper
-33 BFG All-terrains.
-1” steel wheel spacer.
-eDead sound deadening on doors and roof. Acoustiblok floor and firewall (approx 75 lbs total).

The Problem:
-Because of the heavier modifications and larger wheel size, the stock brakes where not able to stop the vehicle in emergency situations. Maximum braking power was about 50-60% of the pedal travel, further depressing the pedal would not increase braking power.

-Brake fluid would overheat causing the fluid to break down, or the brake components to breakdown internally causing the brake fluid to be contaminated (pictures below). Brakes would have to be bleed every 2 weeks or so, and would come out black. Brakes continue to loose compression resistance, and pedal feel would slowly become more and more “spongy.”

-Freeways where a nightmare and sudden yellow lights would leave my truck about 2/3rds in intersection at about 45 mph.

-Nearly impossible to tow.

Solution:
-199mm S13WE brake calipers from 99 to 03 Tundra with 12.5” rotors.
-Larger rotors, larger pistons.

Required materials:
-S13WE brake calipers and corresponding rotors. I ordered “2001 Toyota Tundra v8 4x4” parts at the auto parts store.
-Brake pads.
-16” wheels, with proper backspacing. (Possibly 4” backspacing, I used 4.5” with ample room left)
-Brake fluid.

Required tools:
-Drill and bits.
-14mm and 17mm sockets, 10mm wrench, lug nut wrench.
-Jack and jack-stands.

Modifications required:
-Bending the dust cover / disk shield.
-Drilling out the end of the banjo bolt approx 1/8”-1/4” deep.

Cost Total - $305.61:
-S13WE calipers $90 from eBay.
-Rotors from AutoZone $165 w/tax.
-Performance Friction brake pads (Same as TRD brake pad) w/Lifetime warranty at AutoZone $44.16 w/tax.
-Dot 3/ Dot 4 brake fluid $6.45 w/tax at Pep-Boys.

Time:
-Approx 2 to 3 hours.

Driving Impressions:
-Incredible improvement over stock brakes. As good as stock braking with stock tires, if not slightly better. A MUST for double cab Tacomas with 33” tires. I will post a side by side braking comparison with a similarly setup truck later.

FAQ:

Q: I was just googling for S13WE, and came across a thread at Tundra Solutions about a TSB on these calipers, and that post-TSB, they put in 13WL calipers in Tundras. Any clue why the S13WE was removed? Can the 13WL be used? Is it safer?
A: S13WE were the ones used for Tundras before 04 or 03 (cant remember). The Tundras were getting problems with quick brake pad wear and rotor warping, so they were replaced with S13WL 231mm calipers. Im not sure if they use the same rotor, but the phisical size of the caliper is much larger then the 199mm S13WE. The older S13WE were not recalled due to safety concerns or failures, but quick wear and warping. Those aren't as abundant ether, while there are many more S13WE availible due to the recall. They're too weak for Tundras (larger models), but very strong for my Double Cab 4x4 Tacoma with trail armor and 33's.

Q: Do you have to use the wheel spacers ?
A: I think that with aftermarket rims with 4.5" backspacing SHOULD have no problem, but might depending on the design. Since I have stock rims, I used a spacer, but it seems like there is ample space behind the wheel about 0.5 to 0.7" of an inch at the closest point from the rim to the caliper. Keep in mind different wheels have different designs in the back, so there might not be a single answer.

Q: Will this work on a 2wd prerun?
A: From what I gathered, it should work on 6 lug 2001 to 2004 Tacomas. 95.5 to 00 Should not have a problem ether, but I'm not certian.

Q: Will the stock master cylinder work?
A: So far the stock master cylinder works great. The travel on the pedal feels about the same as before. Some have stated that the 4 Runner and Tundra master brake cylinder looks the same size externally, but are unsure of actual volume.

Other Notes:
-Might be possible to swap the larger S13WL brake calipers also, but with trimming or removal of the dust cover.
-Does not interfere with Donahoe Racing coil-overs (the banjo does not come into contact with the lower coil mount on full lock and full droop).
-Calipers approximately same height and length, but slightly wider (see picture).
-4 Runners and Tundras front brakes are connected by a metal brake line and a flare nut. Tacomas use banjo bolts. The flare nut and banjo bolt are 10mm x 1.0 thread. The banjo bolt will fit into 4 runner / Tundra calipers with minor modification (see below).

Pictures and How-To:

Stock calipers and rotors.

The Tundra caliper test fitted with stock rotor.

Notice how the pistons stick further out compared to the stock rotor.

The modified banjo bolt. I used a large drill bit to drill down enough to where the material was removed upto the start of the thread, but not removing any thread. The angle on the drill bit was perfect depth. I also widened the center of the banjo with a smaller drill bit. There is a "nipple" at the bottom of the caliper connection, and the banjo will hit that before properly seating all the way if you do not remove some material at the end of the banjo bolt. When you tighten this bolt, make sure you get a snug connection between the bolt head, washers and banjo, and not the tip of the banjo bolt and the "nipple" inside the caliper.

Comparison of the Tacoma rotor (top) and the Tundra rotor (bottom).

Side view comparison.

Tundra rotor and stock dust cover. The dust cover is easily bent backwards. It is not nessessary to grind or cut any of the dust cover to fit the Tundra calipers.

See less See more
#2 ·

The Tundra rotor clears in the back.

After bending the dust cover back.

Entire assembly of the caliper, rotor, and brake pad. Notice the banjo is now pointed slightly twoards the back of the truck, and slightly to the outside. So far, it looks like it will not have any issues with the lower coil mount on the Donahoe Racing coil-overs. I have tested full lock and full droop so far.

Completed brake assembly, I have a 1 and 1/6th inch spacer (AOR steel). I know spacers suck.

Tacoma S12WN caliper vs Tundra S13WE calipers. I have the brake pads in the Tacoma one in this picture.

Banjo on the Tundra caliper now goes outwards and backwards.

Stock banjo goes nearly straight up in on the stock calipers, the Donahoe Coil-Overs hit the banjo bolt unless you bend it back.

#3 ·

Stock Tacoma brakes. Its a little hard, but you can see the dust cover in there.

Tundra brakes and rotors.

Stock wheel clearance on 16's.

Tundra caliper and rotor clearence on 16's.

What happens to your brake fluid when your brake system overheats. Theres actually particles on the left, clean fluid on the right (usually engine oil color and clear).

On the left side, you can tighten the banjo bolt and the little protrustion on the banjo itself will hit the caliper, allowing you to tighten and not have the hose/banjo spin while your tightening. On the right hand side, when you tighten the banjo bolt, there is nothing to stop the banjo from spinning. Use a pipe wrench or something to stop the banjo from spinning.

#6 · (Edited)
Once you complete the writeup with whatever corrections you may have, you should submit this to be a tech article!

Nice writeup. Now I wonder if the caliper would clear on my AR Mojaves.... :thinking:

dropthattaco said:
Why can't I see any pictures?
SUPERRRRRRR large photos. Keep hitting "Show image" or the refresh button. It took me 5 or so tries to get them all to show.

#7 ·
Sorry, I'm hosting from my own server so bare with me, the pictures should be worth he wait.

I'm going to have some friends test their wheels on my truck to see if their partictular wheel fits. I'll have that up soon hopefuly.

#10 ·
I think you'd just buy Tacoma stainles steel lines with the banjo connection. The 4 Runners and Tundras have a rubber/flexible line that connects to a ridgid metal brake line then into the caliper. I think that this mod will work on prerunners, or other similair trucks with 6 bolt lug pattern. Try it out and let me know! we'll update the write-up!

#11 ·
I was just googling for S13WE, and came across a thread at Tundra Solutions about a TSB on these calipers, and that post-TSB, they put in 13WL calipers in Tundras. Any clue why the S13WE was removed? Can the 13WL be used? Is it safer?

#14 ·
Make sure you use a good brake fluid. Dot 4 is good, but find some ATE Superblue racing brake fluid. The same stuff used is Porsche Supercup cars. Its a dot4, but the boiling point are somewhere around 115f above dot 4 spec.

#15 ·
Tred said:
I was just googling for S13WE, and came across a thread at Tundra Solutions about a TSB on these calipers, and that post-TSB, they put in 13WL calipers in Tundras. Any clue why the S13WE was removed? Can the 13WL be used? Is it safer?
S13WE were the ones used for Tundras before 04 or 03 (cant remember). The Tundras were getting problems with quick brake pad wear and rotor warping, so they were replaced with S13WL 231mm calipers. Im not sure if they use the same rotor, but the phisical size of the caliper is much larger then the 199mm S13WE so I didn't want to take the risk of trying those. Those aren't as abundant ether, these are since a lot of them were recalled. They're too weak for Tundras, but strong as hell for my truck with 33's.

#17 ·
Thats the guy I bought them from, picked them up from his house in Pomona, CA, LOL. He's friend works at a dealership as a mechanic, so he saves the tundra brakes. NO rust, seals were great, no need to rebuild. I'd recomend him.

#26 ·
WHAT HAPPENED said:
well i did it first LOL:lol:
Where were you when I needed you! :meemee: lol. Do you know if you used the S13WE or S13WL. S13WL's are the 231mm and are much bigger, that would be the ultimate upgrade, but you would have trim that dust cover thing and who knows what else.

Be careful about the wheels hitting the caliper though, stock wheels might have issues (just might). Heres a post of a guy putting on the bigger brakes onto his 4 Runner with issues. He is using the S13WL, so the S13WE might fit, someone confirm this for us!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.