Originally Posted by Rembrant
Ok, so I have to pull my engine out and I have a couple questions for those of you that have done so already:
1. Can I just unbolt the AC pump and push it aside out of my way? (So I don't have to screw around with the sealed system)
2. I don't see an engine rear lift hook. Am I blind? I've pulled 22-RE engines before, and they had front and rear lift points.
3. Can you buy new starter contacts? ( like you could for the 22-RE engines) I figure it would be a good idea to do while the engine is out.
4. To replace the oil pan, is there a traditional gasket, or just silicone like Ultra-Copper, etc?
5. Should I bother sending my injectors out for a cleaning & balancing? Truck has 122K miles on it. Maybe it's a waste of time and money?
Any other suggestions on things to do while the engine is out? I'm only pulling it out to replace the oil pan, so I have no intentions of pulling the engine apart, just basic tune-up stuff....filters, plugs, cleaning the MAF, TB, and intake, etc, etc.
Any ideas or thoughts would be great. I'll likely think of more questions as I go. Thanks.
1. I did that with no prob. on my 2RZ, also how the FSM describes removing the engine, A/C system stays closed
2. there is a bolt hole kitty corner to the hook in front in the head, I swapped the hook to the back. i just put the bolt the hook in the front on the rear and but the bolt through a chain link on the front. maybe someone else knows a better way
4. you can get a cork gasket and i used one, i don't know if it did any good, I covered it every sq. inch with ultra copper and gently tightened, I don't know if it is the right way, but it made me feel slightly better because it was easier and I doubt it will leak or be a problem. If you screw up the FIPG you take the pan off again, someone hear can walk you through the perfect 'Toyota' way.
5. I sprayed em down with Gumout on the tip, the filled them a little with Gum out and tripped them with a battery while I hit them with a blow gun, did that a couple time, mines a daily driver too and I get 27mpg so I don't worry about 'calibrating' or "balancing".
I would recommend putting new injector o-rings and grommets and replace the valve cover gasket and also the front and rear oil seals. Fuel filter, too.
Do you really have to pull the engine on a 3RZ to replace an oil pan? (Help out a 2WD 2RZ guy, I'm maybe a little ignorant?