Where to buy towing converter box - Page 2 - CustomTacos.com Forum
Go Back   CustomTacos.com Forum > The Garage > Interior/Audio/Electronics

CustomTacos.com is the premier Toyota Tacoma Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #11
Enola Gaia
Mambeau / Admin

Tacoma: '04 SR ('Mamba'); '01 *DC*SR
Default Re: Where to buy towing converter box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagul View Post
I installed a hitch and wiring harness recently and the "converter box" came with the towing wiring harness kit. ...
Thanks for the confirmation, Dagul! ...

So ... To return to the OP's original question ... Apparently you need to ask the parts department to look up the towing wiring harness kit and see if the converter 'box' is available separately.

I don't recall anyone ever having one of these converter thingies fail before. I'd thoroughly check out the wiring first before finally deciding the box must be bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
ricky b

Tacoma: 2001 Tacoma double cab

Ok guys, I can tell you this. My converter has a seven wire plug and off to the right it has 1 wire plug. That is it. My part number is 08921-04820 and a guy at one of the Toyota dealerships has given me a part number of 08921-04880 as the replacement. 169.00 plus tax. Ouch. I have checked the in line fuses and there is no problem I will check the wires this weekend to see if the box is indeed bad. What I have learned is that four of the wires going in will control my brake lights, head light and turn signals and three coming out should control these things for the trailer. So I should find the four working because all of my lights work on my truck and on three of the others I should find them not working for the box to be bad. If I find all seven to work well I will have to start chasing and find where there is a wire broke. Thanks Rick
ricky b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
Enola Gaia
Mambeau / Admin

Tacoma: '04 SR ('Mamba'); '01 *DC*SR

Thanks for reporting the part numbers, Rick!

Good luck with it ...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
mobile 1
Enthusiast

Tacoma: 04 dub cab

Ive had to put these on my 98 and my 2004 dbl cab. I tow a detail trailer daily and the reason for these converter boxes are because toyotas have amber in the tail lights and trailers dont! They are a must item if towing for your lights to work properly. Dealer only item also if you dont have the towing package change your fan clutch also. Itll have a green stripe on it if you do!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.