acid on windshield [Archive] - CustomTacos.com Forum

acid on windshield

amber00dak
01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
a while back a friend of mine who worked in a detail shop showed me how to remove bad water spots on the windshield using a phosphoric acid based wheel and aluminum cleaner. he would spray it on, let it sit for maybe 10-15 seconds and then spray it off. , it worked great. i found some of the phosphoric acid based wheel cleaner in Napa this weekend and picked some up. i decided to try removing the water spots on my old truck. i sprayed the cleaner on, let it sit like 15 seconds and then hosed it off. i then continued to wash the truck and dry it afterwards.

water spots are gone, but there seems to be a haze all over the windshield now. im not sure if it was because of all the minerals in the waterspots being broken down and i didnt rinse them off fast enough, or if the glass somehow got messed up. my friend who originally showed it to me moved away a few years ago and i have lost contact with him, so im not sure what to do right now. im wondering if i should go out and try spraying the windshield down again and see if it gets better or if i should just get some glass polish and try to polish the haze away.

and for the record, when he showed me the process, the window was left crystal clear. this process was done alot for used cars that came in with bad waterspots.

any opinions?

StevenRedX
01-10-2007, 07:17 AM
When i cleaned up cars at the body shop they showed me a trick of using steel wool to get overspray and waterspots of windows... you would think that it would scratch them but it didn't.. may want to try that.

Ramphonic
01-10-2007, 07:41 AM
I use a claybar to remove coatings on windshields to stop the blades from chattering. But thats usually rubber residue.

I would not use wheel acid on anything but a bare aluminum rim. The runoff will etch the paint

sputnik767
01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
The best thing I have found to clean windshields is to actually machine polish them using a glass polishing compound. Zaino glass cleaner works very well even by hand, but with my Porter Cable 7424, the results are great.

AFP520
01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Something doesn't sound right about acid on anything. Def try rinsing it again, or the polish. Maybe Ray will chime in.

matt's06xrunner
01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
I have used this product called "Wink" It is for polishing silver and other metals. Works pretty good.

Flamingsushi
01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
You might have scored your glass, like that kind of acid on glass graffiti. Dont get that stuff on your paint!

glassdoc
01-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Well personally, I would never use acid on a windshield unless your etching a vin number on it. I've seen too many that had acid rash from where a detailer sprayed the engine components and then power washed leaving the over spray acid enriched water on the windshield. Since you have already did this to your windshield the only thing that comes to mind would be a neutralizer of some sort. Try baking soda mixed with water into an almost runny paste and a soft cloth and scrub the windshield really well. The baking soda may neutralize the acid and polish the damage out. NOTE: Do not use a buffer!!! If that does not work you can order a product called A-MAZ. Do a google search as I do not have the website bookmarked.

George4drV6
01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Use vinegar.

glassdoc
01-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Use vinegar.
Vinegar is also an acid, but when properly mixed with water is an excellant cleaner.

marcusverkler
01-10-2007, 04:30 PM
The best thing I have found to clean windshields is to actually machine polish them using a glass polishing compound. Zaino glass cleaner works very well even by hand, but with my Porter Cable 7424, the results are great.

And I thought I was being creative back in 2000 when I tried that and it worked like a charm.

amber00dak
01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Well personally, I would never use acid on a windshield unless your etching a vin number on it. I've seen too many that had acid rash from where a detailer sprayed the engine components and then power washed leaving the over spray acid enriched water on the windshield. Since you have already did this to your windshield the only thing that comes to mind would be a neutralizer of some sort. Try baking soda mixed with water into an almost runny paste and a soft cloth and scrub the windshield really well. The baking soda may neutralize the acid and polish the damage out. NOTE: Do not use a buffer!!! If that does not work you can order a product called A-MAZ. Do a google search as I do not have the website bookmarked.
is it still possible to neutralize the acid even though it is dry and has been a few days? the window is still clear, but if i look though it at a light, it looks distorted, kinda like a clear orange peel effect. day driving isnt too bad, kinda annoying but its ok. night driving is another story, the glass appears clear but when theres any lights theres a haze around the lights.

the paint is fine, my concern is the glass. so anybody have other ideas that will work to correct this? glassdoc....how did you guys correct the acid rash that the detailers would get after cleaning engines?

sputnik767
01-10-2007, 09:33 PM
And I thought I was being creative back in 2000 when I tried that and it worked like a charm.

Haha, people in my neighborhood look at me like I'm crazy when I do this, but the results speak for themselves.

amber00dak
01-10-2007, 11:10 PM
guys, i dont need ways to remove the waterspots from the windshield. they are already gone. what i need is to find out how to get rid of the hazyness that is left all over the glass now.

i tried the baking soda and water, rubbed it in really good then wiped it off, didnt seem to make a difference. like i said, waterspots arent a problem now, its the aftermath of having acid on the glass

btw...the glass seems smooth to the touch, so i dunno what is causing the haziness

glassdoc
01-11-2007, 03:26 AM
I doubt you wll get rid of the haze.. Its the after effect of acid vs. silica. See if there is a Glas-Weld Repair Tech in your area that has the Glas-Weld polisher.. It may take it off.. (yellow pages, glass repair, automotive)