Toyota Tacoma Forum

Toyota Tacoma Forum (http://www.CustomTacos.com/forum/)
-   Industry News (http://www.CustomTacos.com/forum/62-industry-news/)
-   -   Where Did The Compact Pickups Go? (http://www.CustomTacos.com/forum/62-industry-news/156898-where-did-compact-pickups-go.html)

AutoGuide.com 09-28-2012 07:17 AM

Where Did The Compact Pickups Go?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...rior_04_HR.jpg

Quote:

Bigger isn’t always better, although domestic automakers are pretending not to hear you when it comes to compact pickups. Why?

On December 2011, Ford produced its last Ranger for the US, a truck that had a 28 year heritage as being an affordable, fuel-efficient and market friendly vehicle. True, the Ranger was looking quite prehistoric by the time it was let go, and sales numbers for compact pickups were dwindling from what they used to be, but is that enough of a reason to kill off the vehicle, and send your buyers to another automaker?

When the Ranger was stopped in December 2011, it had already sold 70,000 models that year. Compact pickups are still a significant segment, with Rangers still being sold off Ford lots today.

Toyota and Nissan now stand un-opposed; with Toyota selling more than 12,000 Tacoma’s this past month alone. That shows that there are still buyers in the compact pickup market, and that a proper small pickup is still more important to truck-buyers than something like the Honda Ridgeline (which couldn’t sell more than 1,000 last month.)
Where's the rest of the Tacoma's competition? Read all about it at AutoGuide.com

Enola Gaia 09-28-2012 07:22 AM

Re: Where Did The Compact Pickups Go?

'Compact' pickups have disappeared entirely.

The smallest pickups available in the US domestic market - including the Tacoma - are 'mid-sized' (the segment started by the early Dodge Dakota).

Toyota and Nissan aren't 'un-opposed' in a compact truck market segment - they've both abandoned that segment like everyone else.

tacomatic1 09-28-2012 07:39 AM

I agree.

This is why when people ask me "why don't you get a new truck?" or "why don't you sell your truck?" I always say I have no reason to.

I don't plan on getting rid of either of my trucks. They run great, get great mileage, and are easy to park and drive since they are so compact. The very fact that I can't get anything like them now from a new truck is disappointing.

Chris D. 09-28-2012 11:15 AM

The Ranger was the last of the mini's..
They were built out here in St. Paul.

While I'm not a Ranger fan, it was sad because it was the end of an era.
If GM brings over the Holden Ute and rebadges it as an El Camino,
I mite consider one 5 years after it's been around..

SenorSolrac 09-28-2012 01:27 PM

What manufacture makes the smallest truck now a days since the ranger is gone?

tacomaman 09-28-2012 03:01 PM

They called the new Tacoma a compact...lol.

No competition is making Toyota lazy. Going on 9 years with the current Tacoma.

Enola Gaia 09-28-2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorSolrac (Post 1870992)
What manufacture makes the smallest truck now a days since the ranger is gone?

In the US market right now there's nothing smaller than a Tacoma / Frontier / etc. (what we originally called 'mid-sized').

There was an attempt to bring Mahindra (small / 'mini') pickups to the USA 2 - 3 years ago, but it all fell apart.

I'm guessing something in the Latin American market would be the 'closest' mini-sized pickup.

purplepoison 09-28-2012 05:25 PM

That truck on the home page looks a lot like the VW Amarok

Shakerhood 09-28-2012 06:50 PM

The Colorado/Canyon are probably the smallest trucks still available but they are the process of being redesigned.

TSSTaco 09-28-2012 07:50 PM

Iv owned both a ranger and a colorado. Both single cabs and while the colorado had more interior room they were pretty much the same size. The new Colly are horrible to look upon. I think VW needs to bring the Amarok over.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App