Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard - Toyota Tacoma Forum

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Hi guys. Need some help. Lowered my 04 taco with DJM 3/3, new ball joints, and new monroe OESPECTRUM struts. I then purchased Vision 426 Cross wheels in 17x7.5 et40 and wrapped them in General ALtimax 225/55/17 tires. After the initial softening of the new struts, it now rubs if I hit dips in the road at speeds over 30 mph or turn steering wheel on a grade change. Also, I have ordered the energy suspension bump stops to install this week. Wondering if the problem lies in the struts being too soft..... suggestions/questions? Thanks in advance for your input/help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170122_10_27_37_Rich 1.jpg (30.2 KB, 18 views)
DeliciousTaco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:35 AM
Mambeau / Admin
 
Enola Gaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Off the map
Posts: 46,517
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Where is the rubbing occurring? Tire against suspension? Tire against fender?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Enola Gaia is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
Where is the rubbing occurring? Tire against suspension? Tire against fender?
I think it's only tire against fender because the plastic fender guard is getting shredded. I can't see anywhere else where it's rubbing or making contact.
DeliciousTaco is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:07 AM
Low & Slow
 
mjbtaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montclair, CA
Posts: 4,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

That tire is taller than stock so thats probably why you're rubbing. Probably gonna have to trim the plastic liner and pound some areas of the fender well with a sledge hammer.

Getting stiffer shocks will probably help too. KYB monomax do pretty well at that height.

= TEAM FRIJOLES=
Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tacomamx View Post
What the hell is a frijoles?
mjbtaco is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbtaco View Post
That tire is taller than stock so thats probably why you're rubbing. Probably gonna have to trim the plastic liner and pound some areas of the fender well with a sledge hammer.

Getting stiffer shocks will probably help too. KYB monomax do pretty well at that height.
Is it that much taller though? I looked at KYB's last night and the only one that fits front was a gas-a-just model. I was also looking at the Belltech street performance struts but couldnt find much on them to convince me to take the plunge......

This is why I was guessing maybe swapping out to stiffer struts in front and getting a thicker sway bar up front would help keep it from rubbing this aggressively.

Also, I really don't want to try to take a sledgehammer to front fender wells........
DeliciousTaco is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM
Low & Slow
 
mjbtaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montclair, CA
Posts: 4,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTaco View Post
Is it that much taller though? I looked at KYB's last night and the only one that fits front was a gas-a-just model. I was also looking at the Belltech street performance struts but couldnt find much on them to convince me to take the plunge......

This is why I was guessing maybe swapping out to stiffer struts in front and getting a thicker sway bar up front would help keep it from rubbing this aggressively.

Also, I really don't want to try to take a sledgehammer to front fender wells........
There are definitely monomax shocks that fit your model. Do a quick search on here and you can find part numbers for em.

The tires arent THAT much taller than stock, but when you bring the height down and add a larger tire something is bound to rub with a soft shock. There are a lot different shock options that are stiffer than stock.

= TEAM FRIJOLES=
Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tacomamx View Post
What the hell is a frijoles?

Last edited by mjbtaco; 03-13-2017 at 11:38 AM.
mjbtaco is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbtaco View Post
There are definitely monomax shocks that fit your model. Do a quick search on here and you can find part numbers for em.

The tires arent THAT much taller than stock, but when you bring the height down and add a larger tire something is bound to rub with a soft shock. There are a lot different shock options that are stiffer than stock.
So far in my search, everyone lists the 565030 for STD cab trucks from 95-99.... found nothing for extended cab truck. Even KYB parts guide shows it for those years and STD cab but it doesn't list any options for monomax on an extended cab base. I'll keep looking......

Thanks for the help.
DeliciousTaco is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:46 PM
Low & Slow
 
mjbtaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montclair, CA
Posts: 4,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTaco View Post
So far in my search, everyone lists the 565030 for STD cab trucks from 95-99.... found nothing for extended cab truck. Even KYB parts guide shows it for those years and STD cab but it doesn't list any options for monomax on an extended cab base. I'll keep looking......

Thanks for the help.
All 95-04 5 lug tacomas all use the same shocks. So those will work.
DeliciousTaco likes this.

= TEAM FRIJOLES=
Photobucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tacomamx View Post
What the hell is a frijoles?
mjbtaco is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:44 AM
Tacoholic
 
toycoma98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Guam
Posts: 2,675
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTaco View Post
Hi guys. Need some help. Also, I have ordered the energy suspension bump stops to install this week.
I use Energy Suspension Bump Stops 9-9101R 2 1/8” tall, 2” dia. You can trim to make shorter or use 3/8 1/2" washers from homedepot to space them taller if you need to.

I set mine just touching the chassis but not fully resting on them.
toycoma98 is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Lowered on DJM 3/3 kit but rubbing hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toycoma98 View Post
I use Energy Suspension Bump Stops 9-9101R 2 1/8” tall, 2” dia. You can trim to make shorter or use 3/8 1/2" washers from homedepot to space them taller if you need to.

I set mine just touching the chassis but not fully resting on them.
Wish I had known before I ordered..... I got the 9.9132 for front and 9.9137 for the rears. Package arrived last night.... lol. Looks like I'll be placing another order in a minute for the 9.9101's. Thanks for the information!
DeliciousTaco is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for lowered performance lowering kit sk8ter_whitesand 1995.5-2004 7 05-30-2008 08:02 PM
Biggest tires I can get with 3 in lift kit w/o rubbing tacomadoublecab 1995.5-2004 6 03-02-2007 04:20 PM
When in doubt, get the 4" lowering kit! [DJM kit] BlitzKrieg 1995.5-2004 15 05-02-2002 07:52 AM
DJM 3/3 kit Aldo 1995.5-2004 5 02-04-2002 06:01 AM
is it hard to do the djm kit? 2000taco 1995.5-2004 11 11-28-2001 11:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome