Need help with shocks and the part #'s - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need help with shocks and the part #'s

Hey guys, i need help picking the right shocks for my new setup im doing. I have toxic shocks currently on my cut springs setup. I'm purchasing belltech springs but want to buy the shocks at the same time so all ship together. So my new setup im going for the front will be doing 2" Belltech springs and Beefed Taco ball joint flip kit. Since i know it will raise my truck up by doing this i need help with part # for shocks that would go with the setup im planning to do. Either KYB or Toxic shocks part #. Thanks !!
AlanBoy619 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Mambeau / Admin
 
Enola Gaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Off the map
Posts: 45,193
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

So ... The 2" drop from the Belltech springs, plus the drop afforded by Brian's (Beefed's) kit, will add up to a net how much drop from stock height?

I'm confused about your claim this will raise you truck. Do you already have a lower stance? If so - what is the current stance you're about to change?

... And what about the rear?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Enola Gaia is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
So ... The 2" drop from the Belltech springs, plus the drop afforded by Brian's (Beefed's) kit, will add up to a net how much drop from stock height?

I'm confused about your claim this will raise you truck. Do you already have a lower stance? If so - what is the current stance you're about to change?

... And what about the rear?
LOL i have no clue the drop in the front. i bought the truck with cut springs but i know for sure its slightly tucking under the fender. I talk to Brian and he said on std cab it drop only 1" in the front with the belltech and 3" with ball joint flip. So my guessing after installed 4ish to 5 inch drop.

Here a picture of my current setup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 208843_4096130651945_500137325_n_zps1b935f94.jpg (41.5 KB, 4 views)

1997 Taco, Beefed B/J kit , Belltech springs, Beefed Taco Blocks and c notch. 17" BBS replica wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, AEM intake

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 01-09-2013 at 08:51 PM.
AlanBoy619 is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBoy619 View Post
LOL i have no clue the drop in the front. i bought the truck with cut springs but i know for sure its slightly tucking under the fender. I talk to Brian and he said on std cab it drop only 1" in the front with the belltech and 3" with ball joint flip. So my guessing after installed 4ish to 5 inch drop.

Here a picture of my current setup
The rear has 4" blocks

1997 Taco, Beefed B/J kit , Belltech springs, Beefed Taco Blocks and c notch. 17" BBS replica wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, AEM intake
AlanBoy619 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Mambeau / Admin
 
Enola Gaia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Off the map
Posts: 45,193
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

OK - I get it ... You're not certain how much drop you're starting from in the front.

It's hard to judge from the photo, but it looks like the rear is sitting a bit higher than the front (in terms of wheel well vertical clearance above the wheel / tire).

On pre-2005 Tacos the rear typically sits about 3/4" to 1.0" higher than the front. You know you have a 4" drop in the rear. If you've got about 1" more (tire-to-wheel-well-lip) clearance in the rear than in the front, I'd guess you're currently sitting at about a 4/4 drop.

If that's the case, this means the new front setup should be about the same (amount of drop) as the current one. ... Or at least close enough that it might be worthwhile to do the new setup (using the current shocks) first, so you can take shock measurements on the new setup rather than take a risk on micro-guessing it in advance.

Just my .02 ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Enola Gaia is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
OK - I get it ... You're not certain how much drop you're starting from in the front.

It's hard to judge from the photo, but it looks like the rear is sitting a bit higher than the front (in terms of wheel well vertical clearance above the wheel / tire).

On pre-2005 Tacos the rear typically sits about 3/4" to 1.0" higher than the front. You know you have a 4" drop in the rear. If you've got about 1" more (tire-to-wheel-well-lip) clearance in the rear than in the front, I'd guess you're currently sitting at about a 4/4 drop.

If that's the case, this means the new front setup should be about the same (amount of drop) as the current one. ... Or at least close enough that it might be worthwhile to do the new setup (using the current shocks) first, so you can take shock measurements on the new setup rather than take a risk on micro-guessing it in advance.

Just my .02 ...


yah that true. currently i have the toxic #411015 but i was scared it might be to short with the new setup..but if your predicting that its 4/4 drop then maybe the current shock i have on should fit. thanks again for your advice! appreciate it!

1997 Taco, Beefed B/J kit , Belltech springs, Beefed Taco Blocks and c notch. 17" BBS replica wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, AEM intake
AlanBoy619 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

The real way to know what shock will work is measure the top out and bottom out of the suspension .Give those numbers to the shock company . You may have to remove the front spring . The back you can load up till it hits.
footinmouth is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by footinmouth View Post
The real way to know what shock will work is measure the top out and bottom out of the suspension .Give those numbers to the shock company . You may have to remove the front spring . The back you can load up till it hits.
Thanks for the advice. Lol sucks that I already ordered all the parts today..I ended up getting the same toxic I have on right now..but if it dont work out ill just return them or sell them here. Ill take your advice if all fails and measure then go to 4 wheel parts find me a shock that fit. Thanks again!

1997 Taco, Beefed B/J kit , Belltech springs, Beefed Taco Blocks and c notch. 17" BBS replica wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, AEM intake
AlanBoy619 is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM
ADMlNAHATER
 
Chris D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minnesota (St. Paul)
Posts: 8,462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

front
With a bj flip, your not changing the suspension travel
So all you need is a 2" or 3" drop shock up front for the cut springs and your set.

Rear
Blocks dont change the rear shocks travel legnth..
The shock mounting points are the same distance before blocks vs after.
All you did was space the axle off the leaf springs and a stock legnth shock will work.

Btw, your truck looks great!


Last edited by Chris D.; 01-11-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Chris D. is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Need help with shocks and the part #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
front
With a bj flip, your not changing the suspension travel
So all you need is a 2" or 3" drop shock up front for the cut springs and your set.

Rear
Blocks dont change the rear shocks travel legnth..
The shock mounting points are the same distance before blocks vs after.
All you did was space the axle off the leaf springs and a stock legnth shock will work.

Btw, your truck looks great!
Thanks for the knowledge..thanks but I love how your truck looks. Silver is clean and your drop is even wheel gap.

1997 Taco, Beefed B/J kit , Belltech springs, Beefed Taco Blocks and c notch. 17" BBS replica wheels, Flowmaster exhaust, AEM intake
AlanBoy619 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear shocks part number... sirsaechao 1995.5-2004 6 08-19-2008 09:34 AM
1998 4x4 part out part 2...have at it! cerino2000 Parts and Accessories 0 07-27-2008 08:23 PM
is this a FT part or stock tocoma 5 lug part pgrimmitt 2wd Suspension 5 02-06-2008 01:41 AM
Model / Part Number: Stock SR Tokico Shocks? Enola Gaia S-Runner Talk 9 08-20-2004 01:48 PM
air shocks part #'s? tennesseetaco 1995.5-2004 8 09-27-2002 01:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome