#1 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Outer Tie Rod flip on lowered trucks.

It is easy and works good.
I clearanced the hole in the spindles with a rat tale file. The hole and tie rod measure about .040" diffrence from the skinny to fat end. I suggest clearencing just enough that you can put the tie rod into the spindle by hand so that the cotter pin hole in the tie rod is just out of the spindle. Then use the nut to pull the tie rod the rest of the way up and into the spindle hole.

YOU WILL NEED AN ALIGNMENT!!!!!
I lowered my truck about 3/4 -1 more this past weekend after installing my QA-1 coil overs on the front. I had a massive amount of toe in. Your amount will very depending on how low you are. Having to adjust the toe alignment is very helpful though since now you can put more of the inner tie rod back into the outer tie rod end. This means your truck is much safer to drive. I never had a tie rod failure but I would never had been suprised if or when it broke if it did break.

Last edited by ToyComa; 02-22-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Grand Tacoholic

Re: Outer Tie Rod flip on lowered trucks.

sounds worth trying...got any pics? i need to replace my b/j's soon anyway so might as well try it on these...if I don't like it I can put it back when I change out my lower b/j and if it works well, i can do the new brackets while they are off the truck

O.G.SpacePimp
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

no pics. it's simple to do. just file it until you can get the cotter pin back into it with the nut on. I need to replace my outer tie rod end on the drive side now because I tore the rubber on it trying to get it out/off. I replace both side though because I just like things to be even.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Tacoholic

did you notice an increase in steering angle with this? im going to do this soon anyway but more angle would be nice

I has a WRX
#5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)
#6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 AM

hey whats up?does this work on bagged trucks that very in ride hieght at times?just asking?my bumpsteer is crazy.

96 tacoma turbo 2rz
fmic,apexi safc
92 supra independent rear suspension bagged
#7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM

yea i was accually going to do this to mine my truck is bagged and bodydropped on 20's so it toes in when its layed out and that hole for the tierods is tapperd so i wasnt sure if it would work because by the time you got it big enough so it would go in from the bottom it would jus be a straight hole. so im jus wondering if the steering is sloppy by the time you get done making the hole bigger
#8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

the steering is not sloppy after it is done. As I said above. I filed it enough to get the tie rods in. They do not just slide in by hand. You have to put them in then crank them up into the hole by tightening down the nut.
#9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Veteran

I've also heard of people using a welder to weld beads around the ball joint shaft to make it fit snug to a larger taper and polish them to a smooth taper. I tried it once and it worked out great, and once its tightened down its not going anywhere.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Tacoholic

ok, I did this with my first attempt at setting up the front to lay on 20s and thought it would help with the TOE issue and in-fact doing this makes the TOE worse. Doing this on a dropped taco with 19"+ wheels increases the bump steer geometry dramatically...at least thats what happened to my truck.

I sent my balljoints to Max at BioKustomz. He lowered and re-angled them(the mounting point for the sterring rod)and every thing works great....very minimal TOE. I also have the handmade drop spindles he sells...and worth every penny in my opinion...take care guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode