Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Re: 2wd-4wd conversion

The 5-lug (2WD 'mini') suspension and chassis are different from the 6-lug (4X4) ones. Because of this, a 4WD conversion is a very involved project. Your most economical option would be to sell the 2WD Taco and get a 4X4 model.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

What about a strait axle and leafs tho... There should be a way to mount on the leafs some how. Another concern is a transfer case ...
#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Adding the solid axle to the front is not the hard part. Adding another transmission and transcase (along with all the other little "goodies") to make it work is the hard part to me.
Sell it and buy a 4wd.

Diverse-Customs.com
#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:14 PM

(Thread Starter)

Well, lets get deeper into it ... I have a r150 5speed and the 4x4 ones have an r150f... Would I need a bell housing for it or are they similar
#6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWITTS View Post
Well, lets get deeper into it ... I have a r150 5speed and the 4x4 ones have an r150f... Would I need a bell housing for it or are they similar
The transmission in a 2WD 5 lug is a W59 if I'm not mistaken, not an r150. 4x4 Tacomas go for cheaper than 2WD ones on Craigslist all the time. It would be easy to sell yours and get a 4x4. It's not even worth the hassle to convert the truck over.

QA1 First 100 club "Clone me out cah me nah poppy show"
#7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Is your 1998 5-lugger a V6? That's the only way it could have an R150.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM

(Thread Starter)

Sweet ... Okay so a w59 ... Again i love your opinions but I don't need advice on what truck I have and need ... I just want info from the experts .... My point is the 2.4 doesn't have a 4x4 ... I would need the 2.7 ... Does the 3rz have transmission with a transfer case and will it bolt on to mine ...
#9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 01:45 PM

(Thread Starter)

Don't get me wrong ... I'm not tryin to be rude... I have had 3 Toyota trucks one with 22re, one with a 3vz, and my current 2rz ... I'm sure every case is different from truck to truck, but with my experience the v6 motors are not as good as the inline 4's... I'm more into the oldschool ways of a 4cylinder 4x4 ... I'm aware the 2rz is a bare minimum motor with less power than a 3rz but it i Beleive it is next to bulletproof and I'm looking to the idea of a truck that can't break ... Next to the ride being ****, putting leafs and a strait axle on the front will give me a tough front end.... Again my best bet would be to buy a different truck you right ... It's not like my truck is apart and having this happen to it now ... It's just an idea and maybe someone else has tried and could offer some trial and error
#10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Both the 2X4 and 4X4 Tacos of that period used the W59 transmission. They had different housings, and of course the 4X4 version included a transfer adapter section. What I don't know is what it would take to frankenstein your 2WD W59 into a 4WD unit.

In your post of earlier today you mention a 3RZ transplant for the first time. This, I believe, has a bearing on the transmission issue, because some if not all 3RZ versions of the W59 had different bell housings and input shaft lengths (compared to the 2RZ / 2WD version).

Here (attached) are 2WD and 4WD W59 components diagrams from the 2003 FSM, to illustrate the different transmission layouts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf W59-Trans2WD-Components.pdf (45.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf W59-Trans4WD-Components.pdf (44.4 KB, 3 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode