User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Been a long time......

Not new here at all, but I haven't been on the board much over the past several years... been super involved with some other projects and didn't own a Toyota anymore. Thought I'd check back in officially (been lurking a bit lately).

Bought my 3rd Tacoma....

1st was a 96 ext cab 4x4 3.4/5spd. 2nd (below) was a 2001 4dr 4x4 that I put a 1st gen TRD blower on, TRD headers, homebuilt dual side outlet exhaust and some other goodies.

After I sold the 01, I was still working on my 87 turbo 4Runner. Eventually sold that off and bought a WRX.

I built several different turbo setups for it, and a lot of mods- current is a 2.35 closed deck stroker motor, aem ems, sti 6 speed, custom surge and fuel system etc. http://www.tjituning.com It's street legal of course but far from a DD, and I'm usually working on it (like right now)

I also bought an 06 Duramax... didn't have intentions of getting silly with it, but I did. I built a custom sideways turbo setup w/ a hood stack I built lowering stuff and dropped it 5 in the back and 3 or so up front (yea.. it's 4x4). And a boatload of other custom stuff, ended up running a 12.61 @ 106mph at 5800ft elevation. Bottom line though is it's nice enough I don't like driving it during the winter, and low enough it doesn't go camping worth a crap, and makes enough power it could prove to be unreliable.

I wanted a backup, a winter vehicle, something to go camping with etc. Tacoma/4Runner quickly went to the top of that list. I wanted a 2.7 so that I could maybe turbo it later on, and a 5 speed. Took a month of looking at junk, and vehicles people were trying to sell me without things like oh say, the title and I found something...

Nice little 95 2.7/5spd 4x4 w/ 158k miles. It does need some work (body), bought a fender because the driver side was just a little too bent up for my taste, and the hood and roof could use a little paint work. I really like it, I'll be honest it's the color that did it for me, I love it

Ordered some raptor liner, I will be doing the rockers/bumpers etc. like I did to my dmax. And I don't think I will be able to prevent myself from building a low boost turbo setup... I live at 6700ft elevation, and go camping often times in the 10-11k range. It needs it

I'm thinking 5-6psi from a HX30/GT30r sized turbo, non intercooled (water/meth if needed) at this elevation should be doable. I'll put a larger fuel pump in it just to make sure, and a wideband to keep an eye on things. I only have 11.43-11.61 psi of atmospheric pressure where I live. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TJI_TACO_sc.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	78893   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJI_4runner.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	78894   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJI_WRX.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	78895   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJI_DMAX.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	78896   Click image for larger version

Name:	TJI_95_taco_s.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	78897  

02 WRX 6spd Self Built/Tuned 2.35 closed deck | s363 | AEM ems | Surge/Magnafuel E85 | Carrillo
06 DMAX Self Built/Tuned S366 setup | hood stack | lowered w/coilovers | trac bars 12.61@106mph 5800ft

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 11-17-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah boii!! I would drive all your cars

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
#3 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Been a long time......

Very nice, welcome back.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Welcome back to CT (and Tacomas)!

That's an interesting series of projects you've had there ...

The one that sorta surprises me is the Duramax. Are the kinds of mods you did common among the Duramax community?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Gaia View Post
Welcome back to CT (and Tacomas)!

That's an interesting series of projects you've had there ...

The one that sorta surprises me is the Duramax. Are the kinds of mods you did common among the Duramax community?
Sort of... the lowering of a 4x4 is fairly common. The hood stack is not super common, you see it more on the Cummins trucks, but it's getting more popular.
The sideways turbo setup is very uncommon, but the performance thing is not, there are a lot of quick Duramax's out there now days.... 9 and especially 10 second street legal diesel trucks are becoming more and more common

It's fun to see 7000 pounds move that quickly. What amazes me is how hard you can launch one. When mine hooks, it will send stuff like your wallet, or phone etc. off the center console and put it in the back seat (and there is a 3/4" tall lip on the top of the console to catch things!)

02 WRX 6spd Self Built/Tuned 2.35 closed deck | s363 | AEM ems | Surge/Magnafuel E85 | Carrillo
06 DMAX Self Built/Tuned S366 setup | hood stack | lowered w/coilovers | trac bars 12.61@106mph 5800ft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode