User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
22R head gasket install

I need to replace the head gasket on my beater truck. 87 Toyota 4x4. It didn't look too complicated in my manual. For those of you who have done this how difficult is it, what tricks do I need to know before i tear into it. How long time wise am i looking at, if nothing else comes up warped head, cracked head etc... Do I need to replace the head bolts or can I reuse the existing ones.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM
vv Scarlet Begonia vv

Re: 22R head gasket install

its not too difficult, just time consuming as with any job like this. some of the intake manifold bolts are a real bitch to get to. i went and kept the head bolts just 'cause it was stock, no need to replace any thing if i didnt need to. just keep track of everything, shouldn't last longer than a day of remove/replace. good luck.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Tacoholic

you have a 22r right, well its pertty much the same as a 22re, first thing i would do i remove the radiator, make its ez'er ,you can get away with removeing the head with out taking off the carb form the lower manifold just makes it heavyer, i would then take off the exhoust manifold. i would make sure #1 piston is TDC b removing the cam grear form the cam, when u do that zip tie or mark were the chain links are coresponding to the cam gear itself, and dont forget the 12mm bolt that holds the head to the front timing cover its inside a pool of oil right underneath the front of the cam gear, you have tro pullout the distributor to get to it. affter that just remove the head bolts and you should be able to lift the head out with the carb and manifold still attached. once you do that check the head for cracks, and clean it, clean it good. you can do it with the plugs in our our, i would take them out when you take off the distributer. it should take about 3-4 hours to get it on off, the fastest ive done it is 3 from start to finish on my 22re, but if its your first time take your time. pm me if you need help on anything.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

cool,
Thanks for the input guys. It didn't look terribly complicated, thought I would check for any easy tips from those of you who have done it. Looks like Friday i will tear into it. Thanks again for the pointers.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 PM

How did it go any advice?
#6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumb hawk View Post
How did it go any advice?
probly wont get a response from the OP seeing as the thread is about 4 years old, they really are not to bad to do though
#7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM

Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode