Aftermarket driveshafts - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket driveshafts

I have been running around the internet for a couple of days now looking for an aftermarket ( or even a genuine toyota ) driveshaft to replace the one on the 97 tacoma I just bought a week or so ago. does anyone know of anywhere that sells the rear driveshaft ??? I have found numerous front shafts but no rear shafts. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
damn

Re: Aftermarket driveshafts

you can have them custom made from woodys driveshaft.. Google them, I'm almost positive that's there name. Guys name is tom wood(s)

New Jersey: Home of where the strong survive, and the weak are killed and eaten.

http://www.myspace.com/wildjerseyfirefighter

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
#3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Tacoholic

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/

This place can make you a custom driveshaft in any imaginable length,size, etc. You just have to do some measuring, give them your specs, and they'll make a sweet driveshaft for you.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 PM

(Thread Starter)

so the only way to get an aftermarket is to get one made custom? I was talking to a local toyota dealership and was told that there is an international back order and they have to be shipped in from japan. basically they dont know when they are gonna have one maybe tomorrow maybe next year.

what are the benifits and draw backs to having a custom shaft Vs. OEM equipment?
#5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

What model / style is your 1997 Taco? (Hint: Fill out your Profile ...)

Your references to 'front' / 'rear' make me think you've got an XtraCab with the two-piece driveline, right?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM

(Thread Starter)

sorry bout not filling out the profile. Brand new to toyota trucks. Always had ford up untill now and after playing in the dirt with a relatives tacoma i jumped on this one when i saw it for sale. It is a 1997 tacoma 4X4 standard cab 5spd manual 2.7ltr. when i was using the "front and rear" i was meaning the front as in the driveshaft from the trans. case to the front axle and rear as the shaft from the trans. case to the rear axle.

sorry for the misscomunication there.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

No problem - thanks for the clarification ...

Now that I know it's a 4X4 ...

The OEM Toyota driveshafts have a generally good reputation for durability. As a result, most of the 'traffic' in stock-configured (length, etc.) driveshafts is used OEM units. Because the OEM units are pretty good, there's not a lot of people who swap 'em out. Unless ...

Custom / aftermarket driveshafts are mainly sought for (a) special configurations (e.g., suspension mods resulting in different length requirements) or (b) severe duty requirements (e.g., heavier-duty shafts for severe rock crawling).

One well-regarded vendor ( Toyota of Dallas - trdparts4U.com ) lists a new replacement 1997 4WD Regular Cab manual rear driveshaft (or 'propeller shaft' in official Toyotese ...) for around $700.

You could probably get a custom one built for a lot less. I've seen mentions of Woods custom shafts costing around $400 ... I've seen reports of local driveline / driveshaft shops fabbing up shafts for circa $200 ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Grand Tacoholic

i'd just hit up taprecycling.com for a used ont imho .. as enola mentioned the stock toyota ones are normally pretty stout

dumpted since 2/15/08 MMMMMM boos t
#9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 PM

(Thread Starter)

I see. I figured the stock shaft was pretty solid being i have not seen a single report of one toasting. Thanks for the help looking for one. Ironically after posting this thread the dealership called me this afternoon to let me know they managed to get their hands on one. My pickup is sitting there now waiting to have the new shaft put in in the morning. Now that it is gonna be fixed up, I can't wait to get this baby out in the dirt..

sorry for wasting all your time here. thanks for the help.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Tacoholic

Usually the custom driveshafts are made one piece instead of two like the OEM, so with the one piece, you could get the power quicker to the pavement, the choice is up to you, I just gave you and idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode