User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Painted Aluminum Wheel Q?

I searched for this subject, but for the life of me can't find it. Have come to realize that I suck at forum searches.
My question goes out to the 1 or 2 peeps on here that have painted their aluminum wheels black. I'm curious as to have they have held up and if they have, I's appreciate any info on prep and the products used. Thanks in advance! Bray

'99 TRD X-Cab. Demello hybrid sliders, CBI Offroad Fab tubed front and rear. 33-12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ's on Finn Offroad sim beadlocks. Lightforce 170's & Hella fogs. E9000 MileMarker w/ synthetic Winch-Line. Bling stainless d-rings. A few other things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 12:51 AM
Tacoholic

Re: Painted Aluminum Wheel Q?

i painted my wheels 2 months ago and they have held up, the only problems i've had is right around the little rivets, i knew that i didn't sand in that area well enough and it shows, it was diffucult to get the sandpaper to conform to that little area, next time around i'll have to find the tool to remove the rivets so i can thorougly sand i get little paint chips there, but the rest of the wheel is fine

#3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:46 AM
Veteran

first what i did is go out and got myself two cans of rustoleum black spary paint, i worked as a metal fabriactor for more than a year and rustolem paint has always been the paint to use when painting any kind of metal, then i got some sandpaper that was just laying in my tool shed and started sanding down my wheels, i didnt even unmount them, to be honest i really didnt try hard when i sanded them down, i just kinda rubbed them a little as if i was drying them off after being washed, then i hosed them down with some water and soap to get them real clean and dried them off real good, then i masked off my fenders and tires to protect from overspray, then i let them have it, i left my truck out in the sun so it could bake for a while, like 20 mins, then i give it another coat then another 20 mins after that, so three coats altogether, after i painted them i went wheeling 4 times i went through mud, dirt, water, rocks and im happy to say i have no paint chipping and no problems, ive also washed them a bunch of times also with no problems, if i were to do it again i would just unmount them so i would save myself some time masking everything off, its real easy, oh yeah i used a primer paint not gloss

05 toyota tacoma trd
donahoe coilovers, camburg uca's, deaver 10 leaf, donahoe rear resi's, custom front bumper, magnaflow 24", 285/75r16 bfg a/t's, 16x8 eagle alloys
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAirRider01
i painted my wheels 2 months ago and they have held up, the only problems i've had is right around the little rivets, i knew that i didn't sand in that area well enough and it shows, it was diffucult to get the sandpaper to conform to that little area, next time around i'll have to find the tool to remove the rivets so i can thorougly sand i get little paint chips there, but the rest of the wheel is fine
Thanks for feedback BARider. I saw that you had American Eagles. Were they simulated bead locks when you are mentioning studs? Are these the ones that you had problems with prepping? Thanks again. Bray

'99 TRD X-Cab. Demello hybrid sliders, CBI Offroad Fab tubed front and rear. 33-12.50x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ's on Finn Offroad sim beadlocks. Lightforce 170's & Hella fogs. E9000 MileMarker w/ synthetic Winch-Line. Bling stainless d-rings. A few other things.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 AM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

truetaco, you are definitely from my part of the country! Your profile doesn't indicate it, but you sound like you could be my next door neighbor in southeast Alabama. I'm not making fun of you. I just perfectly understand exactly what you are saying! I think that I'll get my original wheels installed and was my soon-be-painted wheels with Dawn dish-washing liquid, then apply 6% caustic(NaOh), which is readily available from work. After I apply these, I think that the aluminum surface will be etched pretty good. Then I'll apply some self-etching primer before the final coat. Do you guys have any info on a final finish that will look like the teflon (dull) finish that American Racing has? Thanks for your ideas. Bray

#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Tacoholic

yes i have the american eagles, they have the little studs around the lip of the wheel, somewhat like simulated beadlocks, yes i had problems prepping these

i used duplicolor wheel paint and it is satin black and isn't completely dull like american racing but not as shiny and smooth as the black steel wheels. i wanted the textured look and used some clear coat to give it some shine, i still need to sand down the wheels a bit to smooth out the surface.

#7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Veteran

ive been wondering myself if there was anywhere to get a can or something of teflon coating, thats the look i was going for also, im gonna look into that at some of the local hardware stores, id say just sand them real good and give'em a few coats of primer and just let them bake in the sun for a while and them hit them up with a clear coat or a semi gloss, ill post up some pics of my wheels as soon as i find my camera, by the way i also have street locks and have had no problems even though i mickey moused the sanding and im from so-cal but a 100% do-it-yourselfer

05 toyota tacoma trd
donahoe coilovers, camburg uca's, deaver 10 leaf, donahoe rear resi's, custom front bumper, magnaflow 24", 285/75r16 bfg a/t's, 16x8 eagle alloys
#8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

Hey, hope it's ok to jack the thread for a second - I have a quick question or two about clearcoating that I think you guys should be able to answer. I debadged by truck and took the cheesy decals off, and a couple quarter-sized pieces of clearcoat peeled off with the decals. Paint seems intact. What's the best way to replace or fix (somehow) the clearcoat? Is it an option? And if I want to clearcoat old paint on wheels, should it be sanded first?
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean N.
Hey, hope it's ok to jack the thread for a second - I have a quick question or two about clearcoating that I think you guys should be able to answer. I debadged by truck and took the cheesy decals off, and a couple quarter-sized pieces of clearcoat peeled off with the decals. Paint seems intact. What's the best way to replace or fix (somehow) the clearcoat? Is it an option? And if I want to clearcoat old paint on wheels, should it be sanded first?
for the wheels i would just sand the entire wheel down then i apply a new coat of clearcoating as for the panels on youre truck, i wouldnt touch that with a ten foot pole, id take it to a paint shop or talk to someone who works at a paint shop

05 toyota tacoma trd
#10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Addict

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the comments. I recently saw on a forum where someone used a paint and it looked awfully close to the teflon. Is yota tech the one with a lot of 4Runners? I'll try looking back there and see if I can find the thread. Bray

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode