How do you paint aluminum rims??? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How do you paint aluminum rims???

Tried researching but could'nt find any resource, wondering if you guys have done it or a site that can teach me a step by step on how to paint aluminum rims. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 12:11 AM

Re: How do you paint aluminum rims???

Anodizing or Powdercoating. find a local anodizing/powdercoat place in the phonebook, id imagine it might be like 100$ for all four, unless you go in really late and find someone willing to do it under the table for 50 bucks.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

Aluminum is tricky for painting - especially something like wheels / rims that can be subject to wear, impacts, etc...

If at all possible, powdercoating will give you a more durable finish.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#4 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:54 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

If you still prefer to go with painting the rims, check out the tips in this thread:

Painted Aluminum Wheel Q?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

I know this is really old, but i have a similar question and this is what came up first on the search. what about plastidip? how durable is it compared to powdercoat? is it worth it to even try to change the color? I have some 17's off of a g35 that have the factory shine still on them so i wasn't going to touch them, but one got scratched on the outer surface and i'd like to try to get them painted or restored or something.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Adhesion is the only issue with painting aluminum. Even to powder coat an aluminum part, the surface has to properly prepped for adhesion such as bead blasted or atleast "scuffed" to create a mechanical adhesion.
Painting requires the use of an etching primer first. Then can be easily painted with either a single stage or base/clear.
Powder coating is much more durable.
As far as plastic dip, I am not a fan. I cannot see the advantage of layering on a coating that could add any significant weight on the wheel.

Diverse-Customs.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode