User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Stop Staring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
acid on windshield

a while back a friend of mine who worked in a detail shop showed me how to remove bad water spots on the windshield using a phosphoric acid based wheel and aluminum cleaner. he would spray it on, let it sit for maybe 10-15 seconds and then spray it off. , it worked great. i found some of the phosphoric acid based wheel cleaner in Napa this weekend and picked some up. i decided to try removing the water spots on my old truck. i sprayed the cleaner on, let it sit like 15 seconds and then hosed it off. i then continued to wash the truck and dry it afterwards.

water spots are gone, but there seems to be a haze all over the windshield now. im not sure if it was because of all the minerals in the waterspots being broken down and i didnt rinse them off fast enough, or if the glass somehow got messed up. my friend who originally showed it to me moved away a few years ago and i have lost contact with him, so im not sure what to do right now. im wondering if i should go out and try spraying the windshield down again and see if it gets better or if i should just get some glass polish and try to polish the haze away.

and for the record, when he showed me the process, the window was left crystal clear. this process was done alot for used cars that came in with bad waterspots.

any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Addict

Re: acid on windshield

When i cleaned up cars at the body shop they showed me a trick of using steel wool to get overspray and waterspots of windows... you would think that it would scratch them but it didn't.. may want to try that.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Tacoholic

I use a claybar to remove coatings on windshields to stop the blades from chattering. But thats usually rubber residue.

I would not use wheel acid on anything but a bare aluminum rim. The runoff will etch the paint

Last edited by Ramphonic; 01-10-2007 at 07:43 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Grand Tacoholic

The best thing I have found to clean windshields is to actually machine polish them using a glass polishing compound. Zaino glass cleaner works very well even by hand, but with my Porter Cable 7424, the results are great.

"I contend that for a Nation to Tax itself to prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle!" ---Winston Churchill

#5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 AM
[]D [] []D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Something doesn't sound right about acid on anything. Def try rinsing it again, or the polish. Maybe Ray will chime in.

'14 SWP STI
#6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Nürburgring X-runner

I have used this product called "Wink" It is for polishing silver and other metals. Works pretty good.

06 X-runner, URD intake, URD Y-pipe, Long tube headers, Magnaflow, MAF calibrator, URD Short Shifter, Wideband, 18" Electric Fan, tailgate spoiler, blacked out head and tail lights, C2C 1.75"/3" with DJM Notch, tonneau cover.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2591211
#7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Yota Doc

You might have scored your glass, like that kind of acid on glass graffiti. Dont get that stuff on your paint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder041 View Post
IT may get a little "leg humperish" around here, but its all good fun
#8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Waxed to Perfection

Well personally, I would never use acid on a windshield unless your etching a vin number on it. I've seen too many that had acid rash from where a detailer sprayed the engine components and then power washed leaving the over spray acid enriched water on the windshield. Since you have already did this to your windshield the only thing that comes to mind would be a neutralizer of some sort. Try baking soda mixed with water into an almost runny paste and a soft cloth and scrub the windshield really well. The baking soda may neutralize the acid and polish the damage out. NOTE: Do not use a buffer!!! If that does not work you can order a product called A-MAZ. Do a google search as I do not have the website bookmarked.

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..
#9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Use vinegar.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Waxed to Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by George4drV6 View Post
Use vinegar.
Vinegar is also an acid, but when properly mixed with water is an excellant cleaner.

I'm proud to have had the privilidge to meet some of the greatest CT'zens in the world. At mini-meets, meet n greets, car shows and TacOberFest. It all started right here..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode