Illuminated Toggle Switch Wiring - Help!?!? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Tacoholic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Illuminated Toggle Switch Wiring - Help!?!?

Ok, I know many of you can answer this, but I have NO skills when it comes to electrical wiring, etc. I can hardly grasp the positive, negative, ground concept.

I want to wire up an illuminated toggle switch and don't know how. I blew 6 fuses today trying to get an illuminated toggle switch working.

I used a 6-12 volt tester to identify hot wires. I then hooked up the toggle switch the best I knew how. The toggle has 3 connections. They are labeled GROUND, ACC, POWER. I ran the wires that I wanted to actually toggle to and from the GROUND and POWER connections (that worked fine, just no light yet). I attached the "hot" line that I tapped from the hot on the cigarette lighter to the ACC on the toggle. I thought this would provide the juice the toggle needed to illuminate. Well, I blew fuses like this and couldn't get the toggle to light up. I tried several different toggles with the same results.

Please help me here. What was I doing wrong? The toggle I have in now is not illuminated and only has 2 connections, which you can't get wrong, but I need to know how to provide juice to an illuminated one.

I am working around the ashtray area of the truck, so if there is a wire easily accessed here, I'd prefer this. Maybe the ashtray light? However, I still don't know why I was blowing fuses and not even getting the toggle to light up.

I know this has to be easy, but I am totally ignorant when it comes to this kind of stuff. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Re: Illuminated Toggle Switch Wiring - Help!?!?

ok...this type of switch is designed to be used inline on the power wire to something, so I don't think it's gonna work for you if you're using it on the go-baby cut-off wire.....ground goes to ground (metal)...power goes to your 12v source and acc is for accessory, the unit that the power will go to, flip the switch complete the circuit, power goes to the attached device, and through the ground on the toggle to light the light
#3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:13 PM
Tacoholic

What is the application for the switch?

Use a relay to make the desired open contact instead of the switch itself. Have a seperate 12volt power supply to the switch to control the relay. It will also control the ill.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:23 PM
Addict

I personnally ran a wire from the battery itself and plugged that into the power of the switch (it's always good to put a fuse in the wire before it exits the engine bay). This was used for my fog lights.

On the other hand, I also ran a wire from the remote wire on the back of my radio into a switch and then into my amplifer in order to turn it off and on at will (my girl does not enjoy the bass).

I've attached a diagram that is self explanatory (at least I think it is). The ground is not necessary to be grounded except to make the light come on - FYI.

Attached Images
File Type: gif 84721-Switch Diagram.gif (4.4 KB, 3 views)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 10:56 PM
Tacoholic

dude just a warning.....if you have no skills....takes a big man to admit.... i wouldnt recomend using it for the go baby mod period.... had a buddy who tried using an illuminated toggle for the same mod.....FRIED his computer....dont know if he wired it wrong or if he used the wrong kind of switch but a couple of days later no more ecu..... we believe the illuminated toggle was to blame..... id just stick to the loss of the speedo to know if it were on or off for safetys sake
#6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Addict

S-Runnin............ You were on the rigth TRACK !!!
JUST wire it up LIKE M.A.'s drawin'.......and you should be fine !!!

For THE relay INFO......HERE YOU GO !!!

WIRE THE RELAY AFTER THE SWITCH !!!
LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNs OUT ?!?!?!?! Or if you need for INFO !!!

NICE FEED BACK GUYs !!! .......... HOPE THIS HELPs !!! PM ME !!!

#7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Grand Tacoholic

that's what I was thinking...if you wire a hot lead to one and the other line going to the ecu....when you flip the switch and connect them you may fry your ecu, (probably right after watching your speedo slam all the way up) these engine data lines use VERY low voltage for their readings...dropping 12v straight to it could cause some bad problems
#8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Tacoholic

(Thread Starter)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I definitely don't want to fry my ecu!. When I blew the fuses, the motor wasn't running, but the key was turned on. Hopefully, I didn't mess anything up. I've put nearly 50 miles on it and no probs so far.

I am starting to understand the toggle switch and why it wouldn't work. This kind of toggle won't work inline, but rather as the sole source/router of power for a component. I think I'll stick with the non-illuminated toggle, which just opens or closes the line.

My next mission is to read a book on this stuff and educate myself. I've never know much about electronics, but was always curious how it worked. Does anyone have a recommended book or link to get me started?

Thanks again for the help and the diagram (printing that out now).
#9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Tacoholic

for basic electrical needs you may want to start at like radio shack.....they may have something along those lines....or if you want to start w/automotive or graduate into it later...im pretty sure haynes or chiltons makes a book thats electrical syst. specific..... may be a lil bit advanced to jump right into if you really want to understand how electricity REALLY works.... plus there is also always the local library...... you know they actually wrote stuff in books b4 you could just do a search to find what ya need.... another opt. take a night calss at a local j.c.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I have a problem with the illuminated switch only illuminating in the off position. I a sure that I have wired it pretty similar to the diagram shown, but the light turns off when I throw the switch. I have wired it this way: NEG on battery to PWR on switch, ACC on switch to an inline fuse and then to NEG of Accessory, POS of Accessory is wired to POS of battery, and GND is grounded into a screw/bolt on door frame.

I have tried reversing the wires connected to PWR and ACC to no avail.

Any ideas are welcomed. Thanx.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode