Anyone know how to reset a service soon light on a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:55 PM
ADMlNAHATER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Anyone know how to reset a service soon light on a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500?

I can't seem to find any info on what I'm looking for..

he does all his own service and it seems it's based on mileage..

he doesn't have a pc and I thought I'd see if there was any info out there on this..

all of my searches only come up with check engine stuff.. can't find anything and i really don't want to join another web forum just to ask one question..

anyone? figure it would be worth a shot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Addict

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Anyone know how to reset a service soon light on a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
I can't seem to find any info on what I'm looking for..

he does all his own service and it seems it's based on mileage..

he doesn't have a pc and I thought I'd see if there was any info out there on this..

all of my searches only come up with check engine stuff.. can't find anything and i really don't want to join another web forum just to ask one question..

anyone? figure it would be worth a shot
My google search has led me to believe the the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is indeed a "check engine light"... I know on my previous Mitsubishi vehicles, it had a "Service Engine Soon" light which has identical function to that of a traditional "check engine" light...

Try hooking up a OBD2 scanner to it and see if you come up with any codes...

#3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:44 PM
ADMlNAHATER

(Thread Starter)
Re: Anyone know how to reset a service soon light on a 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagul View Post
My google search has led me to believe the the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is indeed a "check engine light"... I know on my previous Mitsubishi vehicles, it had a "Service Engine Soon" light which has identical function to that of a traditional "check engine" light...

Try hooking up a OBD2 scanner to it and see if you come up with any codes...
It's unrelated to the OBD2 CEL code system,
its a maintenance light for oil changes, and things like that..

#4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

From WikiAnswers:

Turn key on do not start. Then push the gas pedal all the way to the floor 3 times being sure to let all the way off each time. Then turn key off and then start the truck.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
ADMlNAHATER

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Jeff, I'll forward the info..

#6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillers_Rule View Post
From WikiAnswers:

Turn key on do not start. Then push the gas pedal all the way to the floor 3 times being sure to let all the way off each time. Then turn key off and then start the truck.
No way that resets the service indicator. And on the older chevy's the sevice engine soon was also he light for potential current code in the system. You try just calling the dealer? When i first bought my yota and did the oil change I just called the dealer and they told me what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy View Post
tillers is officially the balboa of math.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Grand Tacoholic

He's right, and might I say, that is the stupidest thing (or atleast just one of) that any domestic manufacturer has ever done. I have a 2000 Cavalier (that I can't seem to get rid of) that has the little "wrench" light on and I have tried it all and cannot get it out short of removing the bulb. Stupid stupid stupid.

Diverse-Customs.com
#8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Grand Tacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil R View Post
No way that resets the service indicator. And on the older chevy's the sevice engine soon was also he light for potential current code in the system. You try just calling the dealer? When i first bought my yota and did the oil change I just called the dealer and they told me what to do.

Actually, that is correct intel. That is how I reset it on my Dad's Silverado.

It's actually ridiculous because the owner's manual only tells you how to reset the oil change indicator on trucks with the oil life remaining option in the odometer display. It doesn't mention anything about models without that option that require the pedal trick.

It's also worth noting that Mom's 2008 Grand Cherokee uses a similar method except that it is five pedal pushes and not three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
How about some Michael Jackson toilet paper??? It would at least make him the right color
#9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Addict

if three pumps of the pedal doesnt work (maybe a different model year) try 5 GM vehicles are pretty standard as far as reset proccedures. the only thing that changes is on the older saturns where you have to open the hood turn the key on and in the fuse box there is a little red button that you hold for about 5 seconds.

Follow us at:
https://www.facebook.com/OurToyotaTendencies
Instagram: @ourtoyotatendencies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode