Will the toyota 2001 Celica steering wheel fit tacoma???? - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Will the toyota 2001 Celica steering wheel fit tacoma????

I was just wondering if a 2001 toyota celica steering wheel will fit a 98 toyota tacoma?? my cousing totalled his celica and I'm going to ask him for his steering wheel. thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: Will the toyota 2001 Celica steering wheel fit tacoma????

To the best of my knowledge, the steering wheel will fit up to your column, but there may be a slight gap.

The real question is whether the Celica airbag will function properly when connected into the Tacoma SRS.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Grand Tacoholic

from what i remember form way way back, the steerring wheel physically bolts up fine, however the plugs for the airbag are different.. meanign if you wanted to hook it up then you'd defintally have to make sure you have the wires correct and either put thenm both on a different plug or solder them together.. and another thing to consider is that that airbag is designed for a celica, not a tacoma.. so the way it directs the airbag in the event of a crash might be different

dumpted since 2/15/08 MMMMMM boos t
#4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Veteran

Has anyone found a definitive answer as to whether the airbags will work if you replace a taco wheel and airbag with a different model Toyota, like a Corolla, Rav4, etc..? I know there is only 2 wires and I have spliced them before on a Honda. I'm not sure if it's safe or not, but it didn't throw any check engine lights or anything funky...
#5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Mambeau / Admin

So far as I know, no - no one's ever definitively confirmed whether the airbag steering wheel from another (non-Taco) Toyota vehicle will function 'as planned' when transplanted into a Taco.

I'm pretty confident the airbag will 'go off' in general. The real question is whether it would go off at the right time (measured in milliseconds) ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Veteran

Back from the dead!

Yes it does. It bolts right in and the airbag plugs right in. The only thing you need to do is use YOUR cruise control connector pigtail (the part that plugs in to your clockspring) and YOUR clockspring itself. It's only 2 or 3 wires to solder and they all match up in colors - self-explanatory. With that said, you should be able to use these steering wheels in the same way.

98 Supra (this is the one I used, it's the same shape and diameter as the Celica/Corolla except it doesn't have the plastic garnish).

00-03 Celicas

03 Corollas

I think you can use later year ones for the Celicas and Corollas, just not 100% sure. I'd hate to see someone buy one and not be able to plug it in or use it. I've also noticed the Rav4 steering wheel is very very similiar to the Supra, just not sure about the spline and connectors on this one either...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 335229449.jpg (46.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 09-19-2008 at 11:02 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Tacoholic

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Always wondered because mine didn't come with it, what is that keyhole that says on off to the right of your hazard flashers button? By the way, that steering wheel is really nice I would love one but am hesitant to change my trusty ol' wheel.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:43 PM
ADMlNAHATER

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Lexus steering wheel fits a Tacoma, _D_M_P_'s truck has one.. looked classy..

#9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatosTaco View Post
Always wondered because mine didn't come with it, what is that keyhole that says on off to the right of your hazard flashers button? ...
That's the passenger airbag manual on / off switch.

#10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
Lexus steering wheel fits a Tacoma, _D_M_P_'s truck has one.. looked classy..
Corrrect. Forgot to mention USDM and JDM is300 and Altezzas are the same as the Supra/Celica/Corolla. They're just different emblems and trim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode