dash lights not working 2001 dbl-cab 4x4 - CustomTacos.com Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
dash lights not working 2001 dbl-cab 4x4

I installed a new radio , have it working fine, but....no dash lights, all else is working , no blown fuses[ tail or gauge] . I have a green/red and white/green wire left after install , i understand they have something to do with the issue. Does anyone know how to get my lights working ???? I am STUMPED . Thanks for any input with my problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Re: dash lights not working 2001 dbl-cab 4x4

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) Do you mean the head unit itself isn't lighting up, or that all the dash lighting has been knocked out?

(3) If the orphaned green / red and white / green wires were originally attached to your factory head unit, those are the illumination wires for the head unit alone. Their being disconnected shouldn't knock out all the dash lighting (unless you've caused a short or something ...).

(4) If, on the other hand, those orphaned wires are the ones linking the entire dash lamp set with their power source or the dimmer rheostats, that would explain all the dash lighting being disabled.

(5) Here (attached) is the 2001 tail / dash illumination wiring diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf taillight_illumination.pdf (67.3 KB, 4 views)

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#3 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM

(Thread Starter)

Thank you so much for the reply . I have discovered that if I reground the white / green the dash lights work, but not dimming. Not sure what to do next for dimming the dash . If you or anyone has any suggestions as always I do appreciate any help.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambler1 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply . I have discovered that if I reground the white / green the dash lights work, but not dimming. Not sure what to do next for dimming the dash . If you or anyone has any suggestions as always I do appreciate any help.
Not sure what you're saying here ... Have you done anything with the green / red wire?

*Which* wires were these that were left unconnected?

Did you in any way connect the new head unit into the dash lighting circuit?

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:00 PM

(Thread Starter)

Thank you Enola for the welcome to C.T. . after replacing original HU with a JVC unit with all the connections made I had 2 wires left over from the original plug , white/green and green/red [ Ilumination wires] and orange/white from new radio, I grounded the white/green and the dash lights work but does not dim . I am wondering what connections do I need to make to restore the dimming feature. Once again thank you for any assistance you or anyone can offer.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Have you checked the JVC installation instructions to see if you're supposed to wire the orange / white JVC wire for the dimming function?

One thing to bear in mind ... Toyota uses ground-side dimming (dimmer is 'downstream' of the lamps they control), and some aftermarket units presume positive-side ('upstream' of the lamps) dimming.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the CustomTacos.com Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode