Neutral Safety Switch Diagram... - Toyota Tacoma Forum
User Tag List

#1 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Neutral Safety Switch Diagram...

Hi everyone, I'm wiring up some reverse lights and I need to know which wire coming out of the neutral safety switch is the reverse lights so I can use it as a switch to turn the new lights on. I searched but couldn't find a diagram or anyone explaining which color wire it is. Does anyone know?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: Neutral Safety Switch Diagram...

I'm not 100% certain of the precise color scheme, but I'm sure it's not the yellow wire.

As of 2007 it was a red wire with a white stripe (coming off the park / neutral position switch).

As of 2009 it was a solid red wire.

I don't have a 2008 diagram illustrating this particular circuit, so I'm not sure whether yours matches the 2007 or the 2009 color scheme.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 02-13-2010 at 07:57 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:33 PM

(Thread Starter)

If I am looking at the right connector, the red wire has power regardless of shifter position so that's not it. This is the connector I believe to be coming out of the switch..is this correct?

Or is it this one? I think this one is going into the shifter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1833.jpg (68.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1838.jpg (39.6 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 02-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Mambeau / Admin

WTF am I looking at in the photos?

My guess is that they are overhead shots looking down into a disassembled center console ... Right?

If so - the answer is 'Neither', because you're looking in the wrong place.

The park / neutral position switch is located under the floor 'hump' on or beside the transmission itself - toward the auto transmission's front end (bell housing). The red (or red / white) wire coming off it leads to connector IH1, which is located up under the dash, to the right (passenger side) of the glove box.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Mambeau / Admin

To give an illustrative example of the park / neutral position switch's location ... Here (attached) is the parts location diagram for the A750F automatic tranny.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PartsLocs.pdf (110.8 KB, 69 views)

#6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 PM

(Thread Starter)

Haha my bad, I could have sworn I captioned them! Sorry about that but yes it is looking down at the disassembled center console.

I'll go look and report back which color it is, I should be able to find it now. Thanks a million Enola!
#7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Wait, wait ....

I got so caught up in locating the park / neutral position switch I lost sight of the main issue - tapping into the hot line on the backup light circuit.

Here (attached) is the 2009 version of the diagram. It's identical to the 2007 version, except for the exact red color scheme on the wire in question.

After the line runs from the switch up to connector IH1 (under the dash, to the right of the glovebox) it runs over to pin #1 on connector ID2 - which is conveniently located in the left kick panel (somewhere).

I'm including the 2009 version of the wiring diagram because it includes an illustration of the connector(s).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BackupLight.pdf (63.6 KB, 30 views)

#8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 PM

(Thread Starter)

The wire is red with a white stripe and the black IH1 connector is very easy to find if you take the glove box off. I didn't spend too much time looking for the ID2 connector because there were several gray connectors and no easy way to distinguish them. Thanks for all the help Edola!
#9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Glad it turned out to be easy to access ....

Now be sure to post photos of these new lights when you've got everything installed ...

#10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:49 PM

(Thread Starter)

Here are some pics of the install of my PIAA backup lights...

This is where I mounted them. They are aimed slightly outwards and light up a great deal behind me. They are also very useful for getting people behind you to turn of their brights, stop tailgating you and to mess with your friends!

I believe I used the existing holes in my bumper (I did most of this install almost a year ago so I can't remember)...there was drilling involved somewhere in this step but it might have been on the mounting bracket. Sorry I can't remember!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1841.jpg (36.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1842.jpg (54.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1843.jpg (31.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Enola Gaia; 02-14-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode