#11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: Where to buy towing converter box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagul View Post
I installed a hitch and wiring harness recently and the "converter box" came with the towing wiring harness kit. ...
Thanks for the confirmation, Dagul! ...

So ... To return to the OP's original question ... Apparently you need to ask the parts department to look up the towing wiring harness kit and see if the converter 'box' is available separately.

I don't recall anyone ever having one of these converter thingies fail before. I'd thoroughly check out the wiring first before finally deciding the box must be bad.

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Ok guys, I can tell you this. My converter has a seven wire plug and off to the right it has 1 wire plug. That is it. My part number is 08921-04820 and a guy at one of the Toyota dealerships has given me a part number of 08921-04880 as the replacement. 169.00 plus tax. Ouch. I have checked the in line fuses and there is no problem I will check the wires this weekend to see if the box is indeed bad. What I have learned is that four of the wires going in will control my brake lights, head light and turn signals and three coming out should control these things for the trailer. So I should find the four working because all of my lights work on my truck and on three of the others I should find them not working for the box to be bad. If I find all seven to work well I will have to start chasing and find where there is a wire broke. Thanks Rick
#13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Mambeau / Admin

Thanks for reporting the part numbers, Rick!

Good luck with it ...

"If i saw a old dude with what appeared to be a cat over his mouth driving faster than me I'd stop driving fast." - Firdaddy
Line-X, ARE, Recaro, Team Voodoo, Husky, Lund, Optima, OMP, Aesthetic Finishers Inc.,Michelin
#14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ive had to put these on my 98 and my 2004 dbl cab. I tow a detail trailer daily and the reason for these converter boxes are because toyotas have amber in the tail lights and trailers dont! They are a must item if towing for your lights to work properly. Dealer only item also if you dont have the towing package change your fan clutch also. Itll have a green stripe on it if you do!

3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
#15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am new to this forum and hoping to find help.
I know this is an old post but hoping you can help me. I have a 2004 Dbl. cab and I am trying to install a factory taillight converter only trouble is there weren't any instructions with it. The harness has plugs that plug into the box another that plugs into the 4 flat connector and the last 2 that "jump" and connection. The problem is that I have no idea what or where that connector is.
I saw that in your in your post you had installed them in your Dbl. cab so ANY HELP would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
THANKS!
#16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 PM
Mambeau / Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnMtnTaco View Post
I am new to this forum and hoping to find help.
I know this is an old post but hoping you can help me. I have a 2004 Dbl. cab and I am trying to install a factory taillight converter only trouble is there weren't any instructions with it. The harness has plugs that plug into the box another that plugs into the 4 flat connector and the last 2 that "jump" and connection. The problem is that I have no idea what or where that connector is. ...

(1) Welcome to CT!

(2) The 2002 - 2004 towing accessory wiring installation guide has been emailed to your registered email address. It's too big to post here on the forum.

(3) I'm not understanding the bit about wires that 'jump' ... ???? The installation guide makes no mention of any individual wire connections to be made - it only mentions plug-ins.

(4) Post the part number of the converter you've got. As the earlier posts mention, there were multiple part numbers for multiple converters over the years.

#17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

THANKS!!! What I am calling a "jumper" is a set of plugs (male & female) that go into a separated plug and mates to either side of it. By the figure. H4-5 it looks they connect under the drivers seat. If it doesn't snow/rain tomorrow I will try again to install.
Thanks again!!! You've been more help than a wee of trying to get any info from the dealer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota Tacoma Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode